Do Jehovah's Witnesses "Honor" Jesus Christ?

Question asked due to an answer given to another question....

Do Jehovah's Witnesses "Honor" Jesus Christ, and if so in what ways?

Thank you.

• Suzy
    Best Answer

Well, let's see, Jehovah God won't even hear our prayers unless they are said in Christ's name. I'd have to say yes.

Yes, we do.

I remember in Revelation chapter 7 it talks about the great crowd having palm branches in their hands.

What this shows is that the great crowd honor Jesus as the King of God's kingdom.

Just as when Jesus rode into Jerusalem they acknowledged Jesus as king, we as Witnesses do the same; Matthew 21:1-11.

We also honor Jesus when we continue in the work he started, preaching the good news of God's kingdom; Luke 4:43

Really it's good to honor righteous people.

• Liz

I do a little soul searching and reflection on this and I find that HOW I want to be honored or how I have EVER been honored is just to have someone LISTEN to me, and if they really want to get to me

actually remember what I said, and do as I asked or remember what I said I liked or wanted.

I NEVER ask too much, at least I take into consideration the person and their capabilities and the

circumstances.

That being said, I try to do that with the best of my ability for our King, Jesus Christ. I go back and reread Jesus words beginning with "KEEP DOING THIS" in remembrance of me. Luke 22:19

and

"Go therefore" and "keep doing this and you will"... I try to do and remember ALL Christs parables and examples, I look up information as to WHY he called those that listened to him sheep (very interesting stuff they were so loved and cherished, those lambs REALLY needed protection)

Do Jehovah's Witnesses "HONOR" Jesus Christ?

We have to, our God Jehovah will not honor us or even hear our prayers if we don't, but really

who wouldn't want to honor Jesus Christ for ALL he has done and will do and has

shown us how to follow him closely?

Yes, yes we do. To the letter. All he asked.

Source(s): Jehovah's Witness

Yes, we absolutely and positively do,

show Honor and Respect to The Son of the Most High God, Jehovah.

By teaching the truth about him and his God and Father.

WHILE Jesus is often called the Son of God in the Bible,

nobody in the first century ever thought of him as being God the Son.

Even the demons, who "believe there is one God," knew from their experience

in the spirit realm that Jesus was not God.

So, correctly, they addressed Jesus as the separate "Son of God." (James 2:19; Matthew 8:29)

And when Jesus died, the pagan Roman soldiers standing by knew enough to say

that what they had heard from his followers must be right, not that Jesus was God,

but that "certainly this was God's Son."—Matthew 27:54.

Hence, the phrase "Son of God" refers to Jesus as a separate created being, not as part of a Trinity. As the Son of God, he could not be God himself, for John 1:18 says: "No one has ever seen God."—RS, Catholic edition.

The disciples viewed Jesus as the "one mediator between God and men,"

not as God himself. (1 Timothy 2:5)

Since by definition a mediator is someone separate from those who need mediation,

it would be a contradiction for Jesus to be one entity with either of the parties

he is trying to reconcile. That would be a pretending to be something he is not.

The Bible is clear and consistent about the relationship of God to Jesus.

Jehovah God alone is Almighty. He created the prehuman Jesus directly.

Thus, Jesus had a beginning and could never be coequal with God in power or eternity.

~ What Does the Bible Teach About God and Jesus?

http://www.watchtower.org/e/ti/article_05.htm

~Jesus The Greatest Man of All Time.

http://www.watchtower.org/e/200612/article_01.htm

The simple answer is yes. I find it hard to believe the comments of the wackos that have said so many lies about Jehovah's Witnesses. The Divine Name King James Version of the Bible says this at Isaiah 43:10, 11 Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. 11 I, even I, am Jehovah; and beside me there is no saviour.( Jhn 3:16,36 Isa 9:6; Mrk 12:1-11 Jhn 17:3 )

Source(s): Bible
  • mom

when I pray to Jehovah God, I pray threw his Son Jesus Christ, so to answer your question YES YES YES

Source(s): proud to be a Jehovah Witness

No, because they believe Jesus is Michael the archangel and we are not to worship angels according to God's Holy Word the Bible.

Greetings,

Some say that Jn 5:23 implies that Jesus is equal to God because we are instructed to "honor" the Son "just as" we honor the Father.

But to believe that this means Jesus is equal to God would require us to rip the verse from its context. Jn. 5:19-38 is Jesus' response to the charge that he was "making himself equal to God." Christ's answer was an explicit denial of any equality with God.

Jesus states that he can not do anything "of his own accord" (5:19,30). That he was taught by the Father and had to be shown how to do "greater works" (5:19-20; 8:28). Again and again Jesus states: "I know nothing save what God the Father has taught me" (Jn 5.25,42,44; 6.27,33,46). The authority to judge had to be *given* him (5:22,27). Jesus had to be "granted" the power to give life (5:26).

Would Almighty God have to be taught, given anything, or not be able to do anything on his own? Obviously, Jesus clearly showed that he was not equal to God!!! He had to be given his authority by someone more powerful than him!

The REASON we honor the son is because "the Father has given all judgement to the Son." Since Jesus had to be GIVEN his authority he cannot be given equal honor as Almighty God since the Almighty would never have to be given anything (Mt.11:27; 24:36; 28:18; Jn.5:22; 17:2; 3:35; 2Pt.1:17; 1Cor.15:27; Eph.1:17,22; Philp.2:9-11; Heb.1:2-4).

Then the he next sentence makes it clear that the honor given Christ is as God's *representative* since it says the father *sent* him.

The Jews knew what it meant for someone to be a representative of God or the King:

A saying of the Rabbis was: "'The emissary of a King is as the King himself.'

"One of the important distinctions to be made is between legal identity and ontological identity. A legal agent is identical legally to the principal who sent him even though the principal and agent are ontologically different people. Suppose, for instance, that the queen of England (a principal) appoints an ambassador (a legal agent) to negotiate with the president of the USA. Even if the ambassador is a male,...he is legally the queen. Anything he negotiates is done in the name of the queen... It has all the authority of the crown behind it. Rabbis said the man's agent was like the man himself." — George Wesley Buchanan

Jesus stated the principle clearly when he said: "Most truly I say to YOU, A slave is not greater than his master, nor is one that is sent forth greater than the one that sent him...He that receives anyone I send receives me also. In turn he that receives me, receives also him that sent me" (Jn.13:16,20; Mt.10:40; cf. Mt.21:33-41; 22:2-7; 25:40,45). Jesus was sent forth by God as his appointed and commissioned representative (Jn.5:19,30; 8:42). Jesus was sent from heaven to speak the sayings of God not his own, not of his own initiative or originality (Jn 7:16,17; 8:28; 12:49; 14:10).

The same idea is expressed regarding Christ sending his followers as his representatives:

(Lu 10:16) He that listens to YOU listens to me [too]. And he that disregards YOU disregards me [too]. Moreover, he that disregards me disregards [also] him that sent me forth."

(1Th 4:8) So, then, the man that shows disregard is disregarding, not man, but God, who puts his holy spirit in YOU.

Even an angel as God's agent can receive the honor due to Jehovah:

(Ex 23:20-21) "Here I am sending an angel ahead of you...Watch yourself because of him and obey his voice. Do not behave rebelliously against him, for he will not pardon YOUR transgression; because my name is within him." (Num.22:31; Gen. 41:44).

Some say that the Greek word here rendered "just as" means "*to the exact degree, perfectly the same.*" But this is not true.

"KATHOS" cannot mean "to the same exact degree." This is demonstrated by looking at other verses where KATHOS is used. 1Jn 2:6 "He that says he remains in union with him is under obligation himself also to go on walking JUST AS that one walked."

Can anyone do "*exactly as, to the exact degree*" what Jesus did? Are we perfect?

Col. 3:13 also says that we should be "forgiving each other just as [KATHOS] the Lord forgave you. Can we forgive to the same perfect degree that God can? No!

We are not able to do exactly as Jesus did but we must strive to come as close as we can with God's help (cf. 1Jn. 3:3; Lk 6:36).

So to honor the son just as we honor the Father does not mean that Jesus is Jehovah. Rather, "God exalted His Son as "Lord" and delegated to him the authority and power to function as God's representative. As he carries out his responsibility as "Lord," Jesus Christ must be honored as the Father would be.

But, we still must recognize that at no point is Christ given *equal* honor as Almighty God. Jesus occupies the highest position in heaven next to God, but at his highest position Jesus still has a God over him and is subject to God just as we are subject to him.

Yours,

BAR-ANERGES

From this Christian's perspective, they seem to expend more energy putting Jesus down than they do honoring Him. Instead, they should be honoring Him "even as they honor the Father."

John 5:22–23: “For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judgment to the Son, in order that all may honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him."

I believe they are unable to do this due to their faulty view of who Jesus is.