300 win mag vs 7mm rem mag?

which one is good for hunting deer and elk, which one is better for longer range shooting and how much different is the recoil between the two.

Best Answer

The 7mm mag is about 10% more powerful than the 30-06. It shoots flatter with lighter bullets than the 30-06 but it less powerful than the .300 mag and has less recoil as well.

For elk and deer there really isn’t much difference between the 7mm and the .300 mag. Both will kill an elk or deer. But when it come to long range shooting with a heavy bullet the .300 win mag wins hands down.

The advantage of the .300 mag over the 7mm mag is a larger selection of bullets. You can get heaver bullets for the .300 mag. And yes the .300 mag is better suited for big bears than the 7mm mag. But I know many who have taken brown bears with the 7mm mag here in Alaska. And I have seen bears run off when hit from both the 7mm and the .300 mag because of poor shot placement. But the .300 is better for big bears but not as good as the .338 win mag.

The .300 win mag has about 26 lbs of recoil. The 7mm Rem mag has about 21 ft lbs of recoil. So you could say the .300 win mag has about 6 more pounds of recoil. This is nothing in the field but is noticeable shooting from a bench.

The .330 win mag is better for long range shooting because again you have a larger bullet selection and more power than the 7mm rem mag. Some claim the 7mm has less bullet drop but that depends on the bullet weight because the .300 win mag shoots light bullets just as well and a bit faster.

So for versatility, power, bullet selection and range the .300 win mag wins over the 7mm Rem mag.

One last thing if your off hunting in some remote area and stop in a mom and pop store for ammo there will be few 7mm rem mag to select from but the .300 win mag is quite common and every little store will carry it

I own lots of guns but have no use for the 7mm rem mag. The few I ended up owning were traded off. Considering I own several rifles chambered in 30-06, .300 win mag and .338 win mag, owning a 7mm mag would be pointless. There really isn’t anything a 7mm rem mag can do that a .300 win mag can do and do it better.

The 7mm mag and 300 Win Mag are two highly popular rounds, and I'm a fan of both. I think these two cartridges are great for everything in North America except for the big brown bears, but they can do the job if needed. Both are flat/fast shooting, both have hard recoil, and both are more expensive than a .30-06 (the benchmark). For those people who are really into ballistic coefficients, the 7mm bullets tend to have great BC numbers (I'm not one of those people). The 7mm does recoil less than the .300 Win Mag, but at the sacrifice of bullet weight. In the field it won't make much of a difference.

Having read many interviews with PHs and guides, the 7mm Mag and .300 Win Mag come up very, very often. In fact, the 7mm Mag is considered by some the perfect round for specific game (pig and sheep come to mind, the first for the extra umph for a big boar and the sheep for the flat shooting) and do great against every other game. The .300 Win Mag is the second most common backup gun for guides in Alaska, second only to the .338 Win Mag (I was shocked when I read that). Having seen the .300 Win Mag in action myself on many occasions, it really does the trick, dropping game on the dot.

For those that suggest a muzzlebreak, please don't. A limbsaver recoil pad or something of that sort gives the rifle much less recoil without disturbing shooters and guides/hunters on your flanks. I know my brother loves his BOSS on his Browning in .300 Win Mag, but I really, really can't stand shooting next to it. Do other shooters a favor and just go with a recoil pad! Please!

Both are great rounds. I own a .300 Win Mag, and would love to own a nice 7mm Mag some day. I know they are very similar, but sometimes it's not about need, but want!

• Megan

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/yojZF

I shot a 7mm Remington Magnum for several years, and yes, I experienced this right off the bat. I had been shooting a .30-06 for a while, and expected the magnum to have a much more dramatic effect on deer than it did. I was shooting Nosler Ballistic Tips when they first came on the market, and the results seemed to vary. Some never exited, and basically blew up, while others seemingly exited without much expansion, and therefore not much of an exit wound. I eventually settled on the 140 grain Nosler Partition, which gave great expansion, and almost always exited. Later I switched to a .300 Weatherby and really noticed a dramatic increase in "knockdown power" over the 7 Mag. A .300 will really take you to the next level of performance beyond a 7mm Remington Mag., and yes, you will notice the difference. If you shoot a good bullet like the Nosler Partition, it will solidly anchor any deer without causing excess damage, and it will exit. A good rule of thumb with the magnums is to use the lighter weights of the hunting-type bullets, as the heavier weights are generally more stoutly constructed for use on elk, bears, moose etc. and will not always give the best results on deer sized game.

I've owned both. Each have things in common - expensive ammo, kicks like a mule, and is flat shooting.

On Kodiak Island, Alaska when hunters from the lower 48 win Drawing Permits for Kodiak Brown Bear - the biggest grizzlies in the world - F&G sends out a letter telling them not to use the 7mm Rem Mag because it has very, very poor penetration on the huge bears. One shot kills with the 7mm on big Alaskan bears are quite rare - using a 7mm is a good way to have a bad ending to your hunt of a lifetime. Might end your life.

That said - the 7mm is an excellent choice for anything you can find in the lower 48. It does use lighter bullets that tend to fly flatter at great distances (600-1000 records)........ but this is only an advantage on paper. Even though the 7mm can outshoot the 300WM at distance - the 7mm doesnt have enough power to do anything - like drop a deer - when it gets there.

If you have no plans to ever hunt in Canada or Alaska - go with the 7mm. You will not be disapointed. The ammo is a bit less expensive, and, depending on the gun you choose, rings, and scope weight - you should notice a slight amount of reduced recoil with the 7mm. I would get a muzzle break on it still.

If Alaska or Canada 'might' be on your radar for the next 20 years or your lifetime - go for the 300WM. (FYI - people who plan on comming to Alaska and hunt the big bears usually show up with a 338 Win Mag or bigger)

Good Luck

• Carol

I see what you are saying in a way. I have killed two deer with the 7mm Mag in Pennsylvania. The first deer was shot in 2005 in thick cover, maybe 50 yards. I hit it right behind the shoulder, but it kicked it's hind legs, and ran off. So, I went to look for a blood trail, barely any blood. Did not find the deer that day, but luckily, found it the next. It was hit with 150 grain Remington Core-Lokt. The second deer, shot in 2006, same gun, same bullet. Shot it at 60-70 yards, and all I saw through the scope was four hooves fly sideways, no problems, dropped in it tracks. The problem sometimes, I think, is that the 7mm is so fast and powerful, that sometimes it just goes right through the deer like nothing happened. Entrance and exit wounds were small, not excessive meat damage either. I also use my 30-06, which I love just as much. Best of Luck, T.Long

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

300 win mag vs 7mm rem mag?

Source(s): 300 win mag 7mm rem mag: https://tr.im/3hk7l

first off you already have some great answers, but I will add my own personal experience. I have a 7mm and love it, it is a browning x bolt ss stalker. so far i have only shot deer with it but i would eventually like to go elk hunting with it. I personally do not handle recoil very well so that was my main reason i picked the 7mm. They are both great for whatever you want to hunt, but i would give a slight edge to the 300 for a few reasons. The recoil is very manageable with the 7mm and with brownings new recoil pad which is amazing, but if i did pick the 300 i dont think I would enjoy shooting the rifle as much as i do with the 7 because of the recoil factor.