Is it best to make a dark roux when making a gumbo?

Firsttime I made a gumbo i burned the roux a little bit but served it anyway and everone loved it, I would say that was quiet a dark roux, if you could call it that, second time i made a light roux and it was delicious! but i would like to know from someone who knows about gumbo, which provides the best flavor?

• KDL
    Favorite Answer

I like it darker but I don't burn it lol. The darker has richer, nuttier flavor. Lighter tastes fine once you get all your ingredients in, but I prefer darker without question.

The color of the roux has no effect on the thickness, and you're not making gravy. For thickening I use okra, and I have never been able to abide with the flavor of that sassafras file powder.

Source(s): Cooking gumbo since well before the turn of the century (not saying how many years lol).

From what I've seen, you want to make a very dark roux called a brick roux. It's just one step away from burned and has almost a dark brick red color. Just realize that the darker a roux gets, the less thickening power it has.

A recipe I read once said that the roux had to be the color of a dark penny, not a shiny new one. I can still remember the pic showing the penny v. the roux.

• John

Sorry I don't remember the name or the show, but there's a TV chef from, and sponsored by, the Louisiana Tourist Bureau. He does a lot of game and a lot of food-tourism sort of spots. Just last week he said, "If your roux isn't dark it's not gonna be cajun food." Keeping in mind that nothing should ever be burned.

Light is best