Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 8 years ago

music homework (1950s rock bands)?

I've been trying to find all this info for my homework but it is very hard to find on google (i search something and nothing related comes up)

1. 3 1950s rock bands or groups (not sure if there's a difference)

2. the year the groups were formed

3. which members of the group played which instrument

4 the groups.4 hit songs

5. the members nationality

6. how many members in the groups

- why was music so important to film

- how many #1 hits did Elvis Presley produce in his life time

-why did the older generations of the 1950s did not like rock and roll

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hello there,

1) 3 bands?

Bill Haley and the Comets

Buddy Holly and the Crickets

Cliff Richard and the Shadows

2. Year formed?

Bill Haley formed his band in 1949. They were originally called Bill Haley and the Saddlemen (played country western). They changed the name in 1952 From 1949 to 1952 they recorded under many names, including Johnny Clifton and his String Band and the Four Aces of Western Swing. In 1952 they changed to Bill Haley and the Comets

Buddy Holly and Bob Montgomery started singing together in 1952. By 1955, they had formed Buddy Holly and the Crickets.

Harry Webb formed a skittle band in 1957 . Then he sang for the Dick Teague Skittle Group. He changed his name in 1958 to Cliff Richard when his back up band was called the Drifters. His back up band reformed (new members) and the name was changed to the Shadows about 1958.

3) Which members play which instrument?

The original members for Bill Haley were: Johnny Grande on piano, Billy Williamson on steel guitar, Al Thompson on bass and of course Bill Haley. By the time they changed to the Comets, the group included Bill Haley, Grande, Williamson and Marshall Lytle (now on bass).

Buddy Holly and the Crickets. By the time the Crickets were formed the group was: Buddy Holly on guitar, Niki Sullivan on guitar, Joe Maudlin on bass and Jerry Allison on drums.

Cliff Richard and the Shadows. Cliff Richard sang. The back up band had Hank Marvin on guitar, Bruce Welch on guitar Tony Meehan on drums and Jet Harris on bass.

4. 4 hit songs?

Bill Haley and the Comets. Rocket 88, Rock the Joint, Rock Around the Clock and Shake Rattle and Roll.

Buddy Holly and the Crickets. That'll Be the Day, Peggy Sue, Maybe Baby,and Its So Easy.

Cliff Richard and the Shadows: Apache was the break through number for the back up band on its own followed by Kon Tiki. For Cliff Richard, Livin' Lovin' Doll and High Class Baby were two of his early hits.

5 nationality?

All of the first 3 groups were American. Cliff Richard and the Shadows were English.

6. How many members.

You have the members in Question 3. The groups changed some members. One added a drummer because they did not originally have one.

Importance to film? To draw a young market. Rock appealed to teenagers so to draw teens to the movies, they used rock music in the films.

#1 Hits by Elvis. He had 18 No 1 hits in the US.

Older generations not like rock and roll? It was different from what they grew up listening to. Folks who grew up listening to swing music or pop (like Frank Sintra) would find rock and roll very different. Folks who grew up listening to Elvis found the Beatles and later acid rock very different. And so on. Each generation seemed to think the music of their youth was the best and later music was not as good.

Later,

Hello again,

The comments about sex being in rock music is not really accurate. The music of the 50s was quite tame. The 50s really was a pretty innocent era. Sexs, drugs and Rock N Roll did not come around until the late 60s.

• 8 years ago

1. 3 1950s rock bands or groups (not sure if there's a difference) -> the difference is between Rock and Doo Wop. Doo Wop had a "group" focus, primarily on the singers. Rock placed an emphasis on bands moreso because the instrumentation + vocals were equally important. 3 Groups: Coasters, Del Vikings, Drifters

2. the year the groups were formed (see wiki)

3. which members of the group played which instrument (see wiki)

4 the groups.4 hit songs (wiki)

5. the members nationality (same)

6. how many members in the groups (same)

- why was music so important to film: it's just as important now as it it's ever been and it was important prior to fifties. This is basically asking what the role of music is in movies.

- how many #1 hits did Elvis Presley produce in his life time (wiki)

-why did the older generations of the 1950s did not like rock and roll: more complicated. Check the usual resources. First, every previous generation dislikes the current generation's music tastes. Second, rock had a racial element. Third, it was easy to play (in contrast to what had always been known as music). Fourth, many simply found the sound of it to be grating. Fifth, the lyrics suggested changes in mores that elder generations were worried about.

• The 1950's music scene was more orientated towards solo artists, here's a few to pick out and google, I'm not doing all your homework for you!?

The Coasters

Buddy Holly & The Crickets

The Isley Brothers

Music and Film were so linked because TV was still a relatively new medium and older generations didn't like Rock and Roll because the 50's generation pretty much invented the teenager. Before that you left school, got a job and basically grew up and left your childhood behind, there was no transitional period between childhood and adulthood. Parents also saw the music as subversive and a bad influence with subjects like sex, that had never been so blatantly mentioned in popular song.

Hope this helps.

• 8 years ago

I'll have to get back to you on that. At least I'll give info that I know:

3 1950s rock'n roll singers: Elvis Presley, Chuck Barry, Buddy Holly

Each of these guys played guitar.

Hit songs:

Elvis Presley-Jailhouse Rock, Hound Dog, Heartbreak Hotel

Chuck Barry-Johnny B Goode

Buddy Holly-Peggy Sue

Source(s): That's all I can think of. I hope it's good enough. Try looking on wiki to see what you can come up with.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.