can international student find work in united states ?

im an international student in usa and im studying english ... i heard it is not allowed or even legal to work in usa but what if my parents can't really spend on me and im getting them broke ? my parents live here in usa as investors and we r 3 children and they are spending on my brothers as well and it is really hard for them because they are getting broke and i guess i need to find my own job ... how can i do it legally ? and also where can i look for jobs ? i hold a bachelor degree in business with a gpa of 3.88 and i was an excellent student in my coutnry as well and im a bilingual !!!


i hold a student visa , im 24 female , and yes my parents are staying legally in usa .. they have investement visa or investor visa ... they have their own business here ... it is successful to them they can spend on themselves and my little brothers but im such a burden since i have expenses !

4 Answers

  • CPG
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Your question has conflicting information:

    -What visa are you in the United States on?

    -What visa does your parents hold?

    -What is your age?

    Please respond to these questions in the additional details section.


    The answers below are presumptuous without knowing the answers I asked above.

    Edit 2 due to your additional information:

    Unfortunately you have aged out of your parent's dependency and you must find your own legal way to remain in the United States-- you did this via adjusting status to an F1. You may look for a job, but you may only work on-campus and only for a maximum of 20 hours per week.

    If you hold a Bachelor's degree then you may qualify for OPT which would allow you to apply to any job in the United States that is related to your degree. I would speak to an AILA approved attorney for more conclusive information, but bascially unless your can afford to continue to fund your education, then you must either find an employer to sponsor you or marry a U.S. citizen to remain legally in the U.S.

    Talk about a crappy visa-- your parent's should have thought better about this!

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

    You can not work except under certain circumstances if you are here on a F-1 student visa:

    Except for on-campus employment of 20 hours a week or less, F-1 students are generally not permitted to work in the U.S. without prior authorization from Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). However, the USCIS may grant work authorization for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT). Students are permitted to work for a total of 14 months towards practical training (eg. internship), which can be distributed between Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT). An interim order was passed on April 8, 2008 allowing students in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) to legally work under OPT for 29 months.[3] During the period of OPT, a F-1 student is not permitted to accrue more than 90 days of unemployment

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    No you can't work off campus on a student visa it's one of the conditions

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    if you can no longer afford schooling then you return to your own country

    are your parents legally in the USA

    You parents are probably on an E-2 visa ....

    at 24 .. you are an adult they are no longer responsible for you

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.