Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Do you support granting personhood status to all great apes?

bonobos, chimpanzees, gorillas, and orangutans should be recognized as legal persons- they should not be imprisoned, murdered, tested on, or have their habitats invaded.

Jane Goodall and Richard Dawkins agree- how about YOU?

There is a difference between a human and a person- person is a legal status that was not always applied to all humans in the past.

jtrusnik- why should apes take on human responsibilities and be productive citizens in human society? You missed the whole point.

No this is not about integrating them into human society- they have their own societies- highly evolved with their own rules for what is right and wrong, their own leaders, and their own idea of what productivity is. In short- leave them alone.

Not all humans were always considered persons- in 1906 a pygmy was exhibited at the Bronx zoo. In the 18th-19th century dwarfs and deformed people were part of zoos in many Western countries- later african tribesmen were exhibited in mock up villages- this was also done in parts of South America and Mexico with Indians. There are rumors of such involuntary human zoos still in existence on some islands off the Indian subcontinent.

Favorite Answer

Yes I do believe. But most because I think it is just their right anyway not to be imprisoned, murdered, tested on, or have their habitats invaded.

edit:-

I HATE to ruin this for some of you but humans ARE animals, just because you think you are some special non-animal like creature you are wrong. I am very very very sorry to ruin your magically little bubble, but it makes it all the funnier when people say 'animals don't go to heaven' because I realise humans are nothing more than another type of animal

Source(s): You are all idiots if you do not think they should be granted it, either that or you are to stupid to read fully into it.

I will grant full human rights to those species who can undertake human responsibility. If they can hold down jobs, be productive citizens, and live in peace with their neighbors, then I'll treat them just like people. If they can't, then I'm going to treat them like any other animal: as something that's either wild, or something that is cared for only through the good will of human beings.

I'm still against outright destroying them, but I won't grant them the same sort of personhood status that human beings get. I have to draw the line somewhere, and for me, it's the ability to function as a rational being in a controlled society. I honestly don't see that they really possesss as great a capacity as human beings do.

Yes, but then that could be said about a greater number of sentient beings, as long as we keep in mind that they do not hold the concept of human civilization and shouldn't be treated as human.

Edit: That point is agreeable

Protected status, yes. Personhood status, no.

Personhood status will be given to the first species that ask for it. By their own representative, not one of ours. Personhood implies rights, protections, privileges, responsibilities, and legal liability. Would the species you listed understand legal liability and comply by it? Well, then.

I do believe the next personhood granted to non-human beings will be for True AI.

absolutely.

and there are very few reasons to ever do tests on animals

not only is it inaccurate, there are many people willing to be tested on

I don't know. I'm a bit skeptical. I do think they are highly advanced species. But HOW highly advanced? Are they advanced enough to function normally in a society like ours, you know to live side by side with our society? (Assuming you are referring to them living in our society).

Test on all the Christians you like, see if I give a ****.

Jane Goodall and Richard Dawkins agree??? Really?

Well I don't and THAT makes me smarter then them!

• Marie

Heavens NO! They are animals. A vast gulf exists between them and humans.

No. Apes are animals not people.