?
Lv 5
? asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 8 years ago

Robert Downey, Jr. ....Vs .....Christian Bale...? Best Performances...?

My Friend and Me had a huge disagreement about RDJ being overrated and I agreed. But Then He Tried to compare him to Bale....I couldn't have it. Bale is skys above RDJ...IMO.

Robert Downey,Jr. ...Kurt Lazarus (Fartin' in bathtubs and laughin' your a ss off.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WHBO_Qc-Q

Youtube thumbnail

Christian Bale...Patrick Bateman ( It's hip to be Square)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwicLgOGJOI

Youtube thumbnail

MQ: List Your Top 3 Bale Performances...Vs....Your Top 3 RDJ Perfomances...?

BQ: Why are my Answers getting knocked off..? Has this happened to anybody else...?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • emjob
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Christian Bale is a good actor, but I know who I'd rather go for a beer with.

Why does everyone love Bale so much though? I mean, yeah he's a good actor (definitely above par), but he comes across as a bit of a prick in real life and to be fair, some of the movie roles he's most famous for, are fun and memorable roles to play anyway (Bale's Batman and American Psycho are two massively loved and talked about movies so it's no surprise he's got lots of fans from those two roles). I don't care who thumbs me down either, it's just speculation.

Hello by the way :)

Top 3 Bale performances:

1. The Machinist

2. American Psycho

3. The Prestige

Top 3 Robert Downey Jr performances

1. Tropic Thunder (he WAS the movie)

2. Natural Born Killers

3. Sherlock Holmes

I do think that sometimes people can under-rate comedy roles or actors who don't do 'serious' movies. But it doesn't mean they're worse actors. In fact, it's very hard to be genuinely funny.

When's Christian Bale ever played the comedic role? Great actors can do both, like Robert De Niro.

BQ: ummmm. not sure. hope you get it sorted!

• 8 years ago

Christian Bale has been my favourite actor since "Empire of the Sun", so don't anyone dare say he's overrated! Anyway, R. Downey Jr is great too, although he has made some bad choices in recent years. I think he's waisted with mainstream action franchise like "Iron Man" and "Sherlock Holmes" or average comedies like "Due Date". He can do more than that!

MQ:

Top 3 Bale performances:

1. American Psycho

2. The Machinist

3. Rescue Dawn

Top 3 Downey Jr performances:

1. Chaplin

2. Black & White (so hilarious!)

3. Less than Zero (his performance is the only reason this movie is worth watching)

BQ: "There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy", as the Bard would say...

• I like both actors. I am shocked by all the Bale lists that don't mention - Empire Of The Sun- this is his best performance and film. You might like the Batman films, but these are not his best performances, which is what the question is about. Robert Downey has had so many good performances. His depiction of Sherlock Holmes is great. And lets not forget earlier works like Less Than Zero.

• 8 years ago

While both Robert Downey Jr. and Christian Bale have played many outstanding roles, i believe Christian Bale has played more diverse characters than Mr. Downey. The movie Equilibrium shows the raw talent of Bale and completely surpasses RDJ.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Top 3 Christian Bale Perfomances:

American Psycho

Batman Begins

The Prestige

Top Robert Downey Jr performances:

None

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

for Bale my top performances would have to be 1. the dark knight trilogy 2. terminator salvation, and 3. equilibrium.

For RDJ I'd have to say 1. Sherlock Holmes 2. Iron Man, and 3. Shaggy Dog.

• 8 years ago

They're two of my most favorite actors, but Christian Bale happens to be my #1 favorite actor.

Top 3 for Christian

1. The Machinist

2. American Psycho

3. Empire Of The Sun

Top 3 for Robert

1. Iron Man

2. Sherlock Holmes

3. Heart and Souls

:]

• 8 years ago

I don't think you can compare their performances because they are too different actors.

CBale is always looking for some challenging character. He always gets 'serious' parts, and as a person he is also way too quiet and reserved. Ex.:his performance in 'The Machinist' shocked me, did you see what risk he took to play the character???

RobertDJr on the other hand is more loose. He is a comedy actor, not entirely, but his characters are always fun and crazy. Iron man is a good example, or the movie he made with Sibyl Sheppard, I think. He is known for these types of performances.

I love Robert because he always entertains me, except in Holmes. I don't know why i didn't like him there.

CBale, can pass from an action movie to a drama one to a sci-fi and change the character, but I feel that Robert plays the same character or personality over and over again.

I gotta choose CBale. His performance in The Empire of the Sun got me and I think he is the best actor.Sorry Robert!!!

Hope it helps! ;)

• Logan
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I love Bale, but I am going with Robert Downey JR. here

Bale

1. The Machinist

2. American Psycho

3. The Fighter

Downey

Tropic Thunder

Serlock Holmes

Natural Born Killers

BQ Not for a while, but it has happened.

• 8 years ago

You are probably not going to like my answer:

1. The Fighter vs. Iron Man (Bale wins)

2. Batman Begins vs. Sherlock Holmes 2 (Downey Jr. wins)

3. 3:10 to Yuma vs. Good Night and Good Luck ( Difficult descion, but I would go with Downey Jr.)

BQ: I don't know and it hasn't happened to me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.