Does anybody else besides me find this weird?

ok the United States says in the constitution that this country lets its people believe in whatever religion they want to,but allot of the stuff in the US is Christian orientated?

for example:the Pledge of Allegiance says "one nation under God".

@John:this isnt really government but what about sports games have a Christian prayer said before they start?

Favorite Answer

I don't find that weird being 53 and seeing the changes the country has gone through in just my short time on this planet.

I wasn't really that aware of the Roe v. Wade issue concerning abortion or the issue about the "Pill" becoming available for birth-control, but that happened when I was younger.

What I did see was Jerry Falwell forming the "Moral Majority" and how he made homosexuality a huge issue in the media. Between him and Anita Bryant, they created a real flaming firestorm.

http://www.pridesouthflorida.org/faq.htm

I remember Pat Robertson, a televangelist preacher making a run for the presidency and Jimmy Carter coming out and saying he was a "born-again" christian. So that seemed to be the direction politics moved into. Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush jumped on that bandwagon and said they were "born-again" christians and got the right wing christian conservative vote.

So today when I see Rick Santorum using the same tactic to get elected it comes as no surprise. I listened to some very radical right wing talk show hosts yesterday up on their soap box saying the country is going to hell in a hand basket and we really need to vote for Santorum to get the country back to God. Obama has some whacky theology that is tearing this country down.

Basically it boils down to people using religion for their own personal gain. Making a mockery of what religion is supposed to be for and really cheapening the whole idea of christianity. When they can resort to attacking their oponent with comments like that I really have to question their christianity in the first place.

When I see a christian preacher start a crusade to "Burn a Koran day" trying to literally stir up trouble because Muslims wanted to build a community center near the area where the Twin towers came down on 9-11 it makes me think there is no thought of the Constitution and freedom of religion for all. It's freedom of religion as long as you are the "correct" religion.

That's why I get so annoyed by Fox News and how they let their reporters slant the news and promote christianity just for the sake of politics. It really cheapens the religion and does a great disservice to it and the followers of that religion. What the appear to be promoting is what they are actually helping to destroy.

It says for the freedom of religion but Christians are the majority here so most of the religious stuff is Christian centered

It's really the same thing in Pagen counties and atheistic countries as well

As long as there is religious freedom it doesn't matter

Edit:I can't spell today,lol

Edit:Because their probably Christian I have seen Muslims do it before

Source(s): Have a great day (((Kim)))

"One Nation under God" is not Christian. It refers only to God, not a religion. But STILL, that is facially somewhat at odds with the government's constitutional amendment to stay out of the religion business. And we can also add the wording on money to the list.

So, can you name anything that specifically is CHRISTIAN oriented, and a part of government legislation?

RESPONSE TO QUESTION: Thank you for the clarification. My opinion is that the predominance of Christian themes is owed to a predominance of Christians.

• Martin

"Under God" was added in the 50s by the same kind of people that are trying to impose their beliefs in us now with the whole "marriage is only between a man and a woman" bullshit

>To be fair, it doesn't say the Christian god. It just says god in general.

True. (But they still meant the Xtian God.)

• Donna

To be fair, it doesn't say the Christian god. It just says god in general.

Alexis, I agree with you that Christians think they mean their god. But that's because they don't think.