Anonymous

Why can't Europeans build tall buildings?

I know London has a few skyscrapers and Paris has the eiffeltower, but it seems like Europeans can't build any buildings higher than the medieval buildings you find in their cities. I want to know why; don't they have the technology, is the ground not good enough to bear the weight of tall builidings or do they just don't like them?

Best Answer

because there is no need to build skyscrapers and they need to keep precious historical buidings in european countries. it's not like in america that doesn't have history. you really think building skyscrapers is harder than building medieval buildings which incoporates full of art and luxury??? you are very ignorant. method of building skyscrapers is from roman empire and it only use small number of basic methods from full number of methods of building roman buildings but only make it bigger. american concept of building is making it useful and simple by using small part of EXISTING european method of building and cut all the artistic aspects of the shape of the building, which is the most difficult part of building, and make it very big to feet large population. wish you get this basic thing.... concept of all the american cultures is to make it simpler and easier than before, not harder and more complicated. you just think modern american culture is more complicated than before without knowing the reality. it is the US that don't have technology and artistical sense to build complicated buildings like before but only learned partial technology to build skyscrapers from european countries not full technologies from europe.

• Demi

Rotterdam, Vienna, Prague, Warsaw, Vienna, Milan, Frankfurt, Oslo and many other European cities with skyscrapers would like to have a word with you. Romania is skyscraper crazy. I was rather surprised by that when I went there. I was always under the impression they were too poor for such things, but I was wrong. They may be trying to catch up with France as they are the European country with the most very tall buildings/skyscrapers. They have a very long way to go if that's their goal, though.

Also, the first response is indeed correct in that many of our cities have buildings that are many centuries old. We're not about to start eviscerating our cultural history and rich architecture spanning many centuries and styles to add more big buildings. When you go to somewhere like Bergen, Norway or Porvoo, Finland, you can see tall buildings while standing in an area full of buildings constructed during medieval times and that still have people living in them. We're quite fond of those, you know.

Source(s): expat

Frankfurt is a powerful and global financial and business good city most abundant in imposing skyline in Germany and is among the areas that you might want to see, at least one time and that place hotelbye may help you. Frankfurt is really a city in the heart of Germany and Europe and is really a town that could present several facets and different variety. In one's heart of Frankfurt's Old Town you will find a place properly suitable, the Römerberg.The Römerberg is definitely an irregularly designed square with the Justice Fountain at their center. Not only is it Frankfurt's most picturesque community square, it's the city's busiest pedestrian region, house to varied tourist attractions from its many Kulturschirn (a form of open-fronted store after frequent throughout the previous town) to the Römer, a complex of 11 attractive old buildings from the 15th to 18th generations offering the Old Town Hall with its Imperial Hall, after the scene of marvelous banquets. Other significant houses include the New Town Hall, the 14th-century Gothic Church of St. Leonhard, and St. Nicholas Church, notable for the carillon.

Tallest Buildings In Paris

• Mark

Have you been to La Defense in Paris (there there are actually NICE skyscrapers, as opposed to post-war "blocks".) or Frankfurt am Main also known as "Bankfurt" or "Mainhattan"? There are lots of tall skyscapers (nice ones) there. Same with Madrid. Given you think there's only the Eiffel Tower in Paris, I doubt you're ever even BEEN to Europe, as even a tourist who only goes to vist thing like the Eiffel Tower or the Louvre can SEE La Defense from not too far away (less than 6 km west of the Eiffel Tower).

Edit: King of London and Dementia are both right. And there are OLD skyscrapers in Liverpool, as well as newer ones. Plus, many of the buildings in London's Docklands area are quite tall, like the Canada Square Buildings. I forgot, there's also (and has been) tall buildings in places like Moscow and LOTS on the European side of Istanbul.

Because our cities are already filled with historical buildings and tall skyscrapers would just ruin it. I've been to New York, it's a total eyesore. Boston was nice though, the old red brick buildings were nice.

European cities are much older for example in London they restricted building tall near St Pauls Cathedral the upper class eg Prince Charles are not exactly supportive of it all.

We have the technology but it is culture and law.

@ Anon

I am a civil engineer born and bred in a European country so quite clearly I'd know more than you on this matter, I didn't even elaborate, kept it brief. I wish you try to claim to even understand the amount of projects I know and have perosnally taken part in this city (London) let alone the country.

You mad?

@ Anon

Alright.

I dare you to name the two biggest construction projects in London, UK currently then also the 3 largest skyscrapers under construction. Google if you will idiot. Then guess the largest construction project in Europe period.

Source(s): Civil engineer

It doesn't have to do with a lack of technology, obviously they built tall clock towers and watchtowers. There probably was no need for high-level buildings back then.

European architecture is gorgeous. American buildings are an eyesore except in some places on the East Coast.

@ Slave of londoN: Shut up. You're not European; you're an African transplant.

Edit: Keep trying to convince me.

Have you considered if they *want* to build tall buildings?