Are any of your favorite names inspired by anything?

For example, one of my favorite male names, Holden, comes from one of my favorite books, The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.

Also, one of my favorite female names, Aubrey, was never really one that stood out to me, but the song Aubrey by Bread is so beautiful that it made me love the name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwdTcoUHfkw

Youtube thumbnail

I'm interested to hear where the inspiration for your favorite names comes from. Anything, characters in a book, family members, movies, artists, etc!

Thanks in advance ♥

Update:

Aubrey is, and has been, a unisex name for quite some time.

Update 2:

Ok, so since you're extremely rude and close-minded, I'm going to assume that back and forth banter with you is perpetually inutile... oh wait, perhaps that was too advanced for my failure-of-the-fourth-grade level. Goo goo gaa gaa.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The middle name for my favorite girl name (Cecelia Esmée) is from For Esme: With Love & Squalor, also by J.D. Salinger. A lot of my family, as well as my boyfriend, is in the military so I find the story pretty meaningful.

Vincent I fell in love with after watching Gattaca, it's not the sole reason I like it but it does bring to mind a very smart, handsome, and ambitious guy because of it.

• 9 years ago

All middle names are inspired after family members/important people in my life.

As for first names, the majority of my top 10 - Alanna (#1), Lucy (#3), Emma (#4), Aria (#5) for girls & Leland (#1) & August (#4) for boys are just names I like.

Georgia (#2) is inspired by my old bass & piano teacher.

Pierre (#2) & Anthony (#5) are both inspired by the lead singers of two of my favorite bands.

Colten (#3) is inspired by my best friend Nicole who I've known for 19 years. If I have my way, my third child will either be Lucy Nicole if it's a girl or Colten Van if it's a boy (Van after my drum teacher). I got the spelling from a former manager, since I had only seen Colton before. I like how Colten shares almost all of the same letters as Nicole, and I think it looks a little softer with the e, if that makes sense.

• thode
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

a million. i admire assorted names utilized in Harry Potter (maximum particularly Ginevra, Bellatrix, & Narcissa), Holden (Catcher interior the Rye), Milo (The Phantom Tollbooth), Clare & Henry (The Time vacationer's spouse), Alex (A Clockwork Orange), Cordelia (King Lear), names from Cassandra Clare's series (regularly Isabelle, Alec, Jace, and Simon), Nick & Alan (The Demon's Lexicon) and assorted, many others that i can not even arise with on the 2nd. 2. by using fact they're extraordinarily. Or i admire the characters, and the characters have to that end inspired the affection of a popularity. 3. a number of them, like Clare, Alex, and Nick, case in point, are names that have the literary affiliation yet in addition are time-honoured names. So yeah. yet ... Cordelia, whilst extraordinarily, will possibly not artwork besides as a usual call, and Bellatrix & Narcissa will continuously be usually occurring as "undesirable adult males" interior the Harry Potter books. So some confident, others no.

• ?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Audrey - Basically I love Audrey Hepburn!

Siobhan - My mum's name!

Clare + Kerry - Where my family comes from (Counties in Ireland)

Adele - After the singer. I think it's such a pretty name.

Emmanuel - After this boy, Emmanuel Kelly whom I find not only attractive, but so inspirational!

Noah - I just really love the story about Noah's Ark, haha!

There's probably more, but that's all I can think of right now! :)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cofer1
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Some are, some aren't. Holden is a favorite of mine, also from The Catcher and the Rye! Jude and Stella, two of my favorite names, I love because of songs (Stella by Starlight and Hey Jude). Leo is another favorite, after the church my parent's were married in, St. Leo's. Harper for Harper Lee is another favorite as To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite book and I have read it 9 times. Gabriel is one of my most favorite names, it is my brother's name too! His daughter is named Stella after Stella by Starlight and his son is Miles after Miles Davis (he's a musician, if you couldn't guess!). He also has a Violet but he just loved that :) I love the names Charlotte and Tessa/Tess, which are my best friend's names. I've also recently fallen in love with the name Grace/Gracie from the Ben Folds song entitled 'Gracie' (have a listen, very sweet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dcOK7G1o5o

Youtube thumbnail

) So yeah, tons of my names are inspired :) Hope I helped! :)

• 9 years ago

I have loved the name James ever since I started watching The Office forever ago. I had a huge crush on Jim Halpert & came to love James. I don't make the association anymore but that's where it came from!

And my favorite middle names are after something/someone:

• Audrey: after Audrey Hepburn, whom I absolutely adore.

• Sofía: I would have had a sister, but my mom miscarried ten years ago. Her name would have been Sofía.

• Andrew: my brother's name

• Joseph: after the stepfather of Jesus & my favorite biblical character.

• Jude: After The Beatles & their song, "Hey Jude"

EDIT:

Oh, and I'm going to name my dogs Dwight after Dwight Schrute from The Office & Glen Coco after the character from Mean Girls ;)

• 9 years ago

Aleksandr Luke. I'm fifteen now, when I was about 10 I was extremely I.treated in Russia. Food, culture, everything. I've always liked the name Alexander, it's a very intelligent and thoughtful name and pleases my ears. I just thought the pronunciation and spelling gave it an edge.

Cember. My kitty's name.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

My favorite names are ; Aubrey , Brielle , Neyelli & Kendall . Aubrey is my mothers maiden last name & i've always thought it was adorable . Brielle , its sounds beautiful and classic ; Neyelli , is a very unique name and i love how it ends . And kendall being for a boy ; is very cute , not so masculine .

• 9 years ago

Alexandria from my favorite band; asking Alexandria

Auden, Jessamine, Cassian, Cade, Jace and Eli are from books that i love

Annabel Lee from the poem by Poe

• 9 years ago

Pretty much all of them actually! I am very into reading, watching movies and TV shows, etc., so most of my favourite names actually come from characters or actors. Here is a list of all my favourite names (including middle names and guilty pleasures) - I'll tell you where what the names were inspired by, as well as the names that I just like for no reason.

FEMALE:

Aerie - Baldur's Gate

Alyria - alternate spelling of Illyria inspired by a Song of Ice and Fire

Alyssa - Alyssa Milano, Charmed

Andromeda - Harry Potter

Anya - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Arwen - Lord of the Rings

Audra - Dollhouse

Avalon - Arthurian legend

Bellatrix - Harry Potter

Brigitte - Ginger Snaps

Carrie - Flowers in the Attic (yeah, another creepy)

Ceilidh - alternate spelling of Kaylee, Firefly

Charisma - Charisma Carpenter, Buffy

Clear - Final Destination

Cordelia - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Daenerys - A Song of Ice and Fire

Darla - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Deirdre - Dollenganger series (creepy I know, but I like the name)

Drusilla - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Echo - Dollhouse

Emilia - Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones

Eowyn - Lord of the Rings

Evangeline - Evangeline Lilly, LOST

Faith - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Ginger - Ginger Snaps

Illyria - Angel

Inara - Firefly

Juno - Juno Temple

Katharine - Katharine Isabelle, Ginger Snaps

Kitty - X-Men

Luna - Harry Potter

Madeleine - Dollhouse

Melora - Melora Creager, Rasputina

Morgana - Arthurian legend

Narcissa - Harry Potter

Nymphadora - Harry Potter

Paige - Charmed

Phoebe - Charmed

Piper - Charmed

River - Firefly

Trinity - The Matrix

Wednesday - The Addam's Family

Willow - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

MALE:

Alexander - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Andrew - Drew Fuller, Charmed (also a family name)

Artemis - Artemis Fowl

Brandon - A Song of Ice and Fire

Castiel - Supernatural

Cole - Charmed (also a family name)

Cory - Flowers in the Attic (creepy again, I know...)

Dean - Supernatural

Dexter - Dexter

Dorian - Dorian Gray

Draco - Harry Potter

Drew - Drew Fuller, Charmed

Jackson - Jackson Rathbone

Jensen - Jensen Ackles, Supernatural

Miles - Surface

Misha - Misha Collins, Supernatural

Sylar - Heroes

Xander - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Wesley - Angel

West - Heroes

FAMILY NAMES:

♀ Catherine, Dawn, Elizabeth, Jade, Kate, Lee, Lilian, Tara

♂ Andrew, Cole, Edward

UNINSPIRED NAMES:

♀ Aeriana, Aerilyn, Aimee, Alexis, Artemis, Audrey, Aurewyn, Blodwen, Charlotte, Circe, Delilah, Elora, Elowen, Esme, Freya, Heidi, Isabel, Jillian, Juniper, Liliana, Lily, Mackenzie, Matilda, Morowyn, Lorelei, Lucinda, Pandora, Rose, Scarlett, Serenity, Sevestra, Soleil, Summer, Valerie, Viola, Virginia

♂ Atticus, Aubrey, Avery, Dashiell, Gabriel, Jacob, James, Jasper, Kyle, Lucas, Lucien, Matthew, Oliver, Tyler, Valerian, Xavier

:)

Please answer mine?

Which girls' name - http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ak...

Which boys' name - http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=An...

Which middle name - http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ar...

Which spelling - http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Aq...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.