I don't know what to do with myself.. are my grades good enough for cosmetology school.. or any school at all?

I'm thinking of Aveda Frederick's Institute, Empire Beauty School, or Paul Mitchell...

I'm a junior in high school.. and no matter how hard I try I can't achieve good grades.. I believe my GPA is currently 2.7ish and I'm failing Chemistry.. I know that I will pass all other classes.. not necessarily with flying colors.. but I will pass. My ACT and PSAT scores are good. I scored the 6th highest in my school for the PSAT in math.. and the others were maybe top 20 or higher. I know I will do okay on the real SAT. Anyways.. I'm so stressed out.. and I freak out every night. I'm always depressed. i'm just worried I may not be able to get into beauty school, let alone any school with my grades. I know I will have all the credits I need to graduate.. but.. I'm just scared. I also know that I will need grants and other financial aid. My mother is the only source of income.. and she brings in under $20,000 a year. My father passed away 5 years ago, and I've been told that maybe I could get a grant for that. I'm not sure.. just.. help me please.

I've also always wanted to be a Psychologist.. but that is obviously out of my reach.. So this is my second choice.. My true passion, I suppose...

Also.. if you know someone in the cosmetology field.. how well off are they? Is there income a good amount?

We already receive social security, but unfortunately it's not much.

Favorite Answer

You will get just as good a cosmetology education and job by studying cosmetology for much less money at your local community college or vocational school. If you have not already done so, see if you are eligible for Social Security benefits because your father is deceased. Phone the Social Security Office. You can find the number on google.com .

Cosmetology programs virtually never look at high school grades and some do not even require a high school diploma.

Best wishes.

Schools such as beauty school shouldn't require too much. If it doesn't work out, you can always go to a junior/community college first and then work up from there. Plus, it's much cheaper to start out that way.

I would suggest going to a community college. Check around for a community college around your area to see if they offer a cosmetology program. I know of some community colleges that offers a 2 year cosmetology program. If your family is receiving social security, don't forget to apply for financial aid, it will be a lot of help. I do have a friend who is a cosmetologist and she makes an okay amount, it depends on where you live. For example, a friend's sister lives in Houston, TX and she makes a good amount of money and is well off by herself, but it is probably because the shop she works at is really busy and well known.

• Molly

My mom didn't even have a diploma and got into beauty school. If schools not your thing, you will never be a psychaitrist, that's 10+ years of challenging, intensive school.

If you apply as a mature student (Out of high school for 1-2 years) Your grades won't matter at all. Don't stress out, any idiot can be a cosmetologist.