Opinions please --- Should I change this part to keep it from being too "cliche"?

I kind of asked this earlier today, but I want to rephrase my question.

I'm very passionate about writing this story about a normal girl who is diagnosed with a life threatening disease, and she may only have a few months to live. (There's more to the story as well but I won't go into that) I started out as making the girl have Leukemia, but people have said that it's too cliche to do any kind of cancer. Would it make it less "cliche" to just make up my own disease and symptoms etc?

Favorite Answer

A disease cannot be cliche. Don't listen to whoever told you that. Yes, it may be overused in stories a bit, but plenty of people in real life have Leukemia. If I was reading your story and got to the part where it says she has Leukemia, I wouldn't say "ugh, not this again". I'd find it weirder if you created your own disease rather than used an existing one, honestly.

Who's telling you it's cliche? That's not cliche, that's realism. Maybe it's too real though and that's what they mean, cancer is too close to home for people, comes to mind easily. That doesn't mean it's a cliche though. Whatever you do, though, don't make up some disease. A story like this relies heavily on realism, which is precicely why leukemia is perfect, so making up one would make realism readers jump through the roof. With realism you want people to identify with what they're reading, and maybe leukemia is an easy choice, but that doesn't mean its a bad one. Maybe they just want something more obscure, like that means it's more creative, but I don't think that's really the idea here.

I wouldnt say that the plot is to cliche, as long as you don't make it one big sob story. (and if its not a sob story, it sounds like it could actually be interesting) But think of leukemia, would she be bedridden constantly? (that doesnt make for an exciting story. Period.) I think leukemia would be fine but would it really match her ability to do things? (if not then you may wish to make your own disease with its own symptoms, restrictions, and freedoms.) I HOPE YOU HAVE FUN WRITING

Leukemia, yeah, a lot of content already exists about that.

Take the advice of the others. Either do some research on a real disease you can educate people about, or make up one of your own. Writers invent illnesses all the time.

hi :)

If your familiar with the decease of Leukemia and have much to say about it and ways to describe it. This decease effects some people and so it would be more heart-felt and relatible to people that are picking up you story.

When you make up a decease you risk people not getting as much of an emotional impact than if you do a well-known decease.

hope this helps :)

It is slightly cliche, but instead of making your own disease why not just google 'rare diseases' for one? try to find a one equally as fatal and use it.

You can try diagnosing her with lupus, it has various forms and stages. It varies from person to person. you can use symptoms that she may have been overlooking or ignoring for years, depending on if she is going to die within months, or live with the condition?

Source(s): Relative of someone living with lupus.
  • ihde

Q1: How lots has listening to R&HH taught you something approximately African American way of existence? >> replaced my perspectives approximately society i assume. it is likewise inspired me in approaches on how I act and to tolerate the good issues in society. If this answer is undesirable, properly i don't understand then lol. Q2: while a rapper calls out the "White human beings" do you sense any emotion in the direction of what he's asserting and do your thoughts approximately his/her track substitute? Immortal technique has some songs approximately white human beings, thats all i will think of of, i'm going to discover some extra. >> No, to me, actual, i don't think of that concerns. That rapper expresses him/herself the way he/she go with's too. i does not substitute my thoughts in accordance with one track or a pair. Q3: Has listening to R&HH made you go with to diversify your existence, rather of courting your very own race you go with to this factor different races? Are you extra open to different cultures? >> confident and no, diversify my existence, becoming up as a minority, it particularly is style of an excuse, I grew up with little ones of all colorings. i don't innovations courting any race as long as i'm interested in that guy or woman and vise versa. I certainly have continuously been open to categories of cultures by way of the international. this autumn: it extremely is for all and sundry: what's your opinion on stereotypical rap do you sense like it has harm African American way of existence? stereotypical rap as in Gucci Mane >> a splash. It has the charm to make it a foul impression approximately African American way of existence, while extra helpful considered rap track from the artist won't be so appealing to the mainstream eye.

I guess it's kind of cliche, but if it's what you know, write it! You know what they say: "Write what makes you happy, not what pleases the crowd." :)

i like how it sounds that way yet if you want to change it give her some kind of lungs or heart disease

answer my question-

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AmLk_...