Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 8 years ago

Can I return my Prius for false advertising?

I recently leased a Prius. It has an advertised 60 city, and 50 highway mpg. I notice that my car only gets 38-40. Is there a way I can return it for false advertising, or is there a fix for the car. I only drive at 20--60 mph most of the time.

• Neil
    Favorite Answer

It also matters how you drive it.

So, how do you know (and how can you PROVE) that the advertising is false or that there is anything wrong with the car?

• JerryJ

1. The number stated is from the EPA testing method, not Toyota.

2. If you're only getting 40 mpg, then either you are only driving short trips, have your tire pressure too low, live in a cold climate (all cars lose about 25% mpg when the temperature is around zero), or doing something wrong.

3. In many cases the Prius is the first car that an individual has had where they actually know what the mpg is. Most cars require you to keep track manually (usually using a logbook).

The proper way to use the EPA rating is to find out from your logbook what your previous car achieved. Then look up it's EPA rating. Divide the logbook mpg by the EPA mpg. Then use that number to find the MPG you should expect for the Prius (or any other car).

Example:

Logbook 20 mpg EPA 30 mpg 20/30 = 66.67% 60*66.67 = 40 mpg.

My 2004 Prius MPG from the logbook. (Complete years only):

2003-2004 -- 50.8 mpg 17,628 miles

2005 -- 52.6 mpg 14,688 miles

2006 -- 56.3 mpg 16,174 miles

2007 -- 57.3 mpg 18,384 miles

2008 -- 59.9 mpg 21,755 miles

2009 -- 61.4 mpg 16,177 miles

2010 -- 65.2 mpg 12,134 miles

2011 -- 66.9 mpg 11,272 miles

In 2004 the combined city/highway EPA rating was 55. Only two years did I not get that and overall I have received 58 mpg.

It's not entirely false advertising. It totally depends how you drive the car. I know a husband and wife who love to pick on each other about who gets the most mileage. If you have a lot of stop and go driving and run the a/c, you're not going to get 60. No, you can't return it.

I think I heard of a case where a woman complained and got a little something from Toyota for it, but geez, give it up. 38-40 is still good mileage.

Yes, you certainly can. There are numerous lawsuits under way regarding the false advertising and breach of express warranty regarding false MPG claims. One case, regarding the claims of 50 MPG for the Honda Civic Hybrid, was in the NBC news recently, where a lawyer (Heather Peters) was suing Honda and had won $10,000 in Los Angeles Superior Court.

I'm sure when they say 60 city and 50 highway ,they also state that it's an APPROXIMATE claculation and the true mileage varies.

You can try to return it but legally they don't HAVE to refund you.If it's a reputable company then they will do a courtesy and give you your money back.

your beef is not with toyota...they are only following the guidlines set by our government! apparently if you lie regarding mileage it's ok as long as it's within the sanctioned "lieing guidlines".

no. that number means "up to".

there are many factor that go into MPG.

If you can, I advise you have dirty, nasty buttsecks in the back, that way they have to clean the car after you return it, furthering your payback!

Source(s): I'm willing to volunteer ;P

yes u can