Singer Sewing Machine- Bobbin thread is bunching up?!?

I just bought a Singer 2932 yesterday. I read through all the directions and then winded the bobbin (went smoothly), threaded the upper thread (went smoothly), and pulled the bobbin thread up (went smoothly) all exactly as I had been told to. But when I started sewing it was all bunched up on the underside. So I removed the fabric and cut the threads, took out the bobbin case to make sure nothing was caught up, and started again. The same thing happened only this time there was some thread caught in the bobbin shuttle. So I took the whole thing apart, removed the thread, put the bobbin case back in, re-threaded the top, made sure my tension was okay, etc. and started again. So this time I decided to sew a few stitches while leaving the door open so I could watch the bobbin in action. Within the first two seconds of sewing, I watched it all get caught up and soon there were 3 instead of 1 threads coming out from under the plate. I've done everything that's been suggested and I don't know what to do.

Favorite Answer

Take all the thread off the machine, one more time (yes, I know, but trust me on this one). Rethread from scratch, manual in hand, and read out each step before you do it. This time, make sure you thread the top of the machine with the presser foot up -- that opens the tension disks and allows the thread to enter.

Loops of thread on the bottom = insufficient tension on top.

Next, turn to the section in the manual on threading, and rethread the machine from scratch. This time, though, MAKE SURE THE PRESSER FOOT IS UP WHEN THREADING THE TOP. The presser foot has a linkage to the tension disks, and the tension disks are closed when the presser foot is down. It needs to be up when threading, or the thread never gets into the tension disks, and then you get thread loops when you try to sew.

Raise the bobbin thread, and pull the bobbin and top thread ends together under and behind the presser foot.

While you're at it, if your machine doesn't have a needle up/down control, put a piece of paper under the presser foot, drop the presser foot, and turn the handwheel. You're looking for the direction that causes the paper to feed from the front to the back of the machine. Stick a piece of tape or post-it near the handwheel to remind you which way it feeds front to back.

OK, now you've threaded with the presser foot up. Here's how you're going to start the seam:

1) Place the fabric under the raised presser foot.

2) Use the needle up/down control or the handwheel to drop the needle into the fabric,

3) Drop the presser foot.

4) Hold the top and bobbin thread ends together behind the presser foot and take the first couple of stitches,

5) Now you can drop the thread ends and sew normally.

I made up some samples of how my very well behaved sewing machine acted with just minor misthreadings. The photos are in pairs, first the top of the fabric, and then the bottom of the fabric. The top of the machine is threaded in blue thread, the bobbin has red. You can see what the results are like with sub-optimal threading and seam-starting procedures: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/2252155...

Source(s): 50 years of sewing
    • Wendy4 years agoReport

Thank you so much! My sewing machine suddenly started giving me issues. Thread bunching up on the underside of the material. I rethreaded the top as suggested. Problem solved!

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ax9JT

First: take out the needle and be sure it isn't bent. Even the tiniest bend will cause problems. use a fresh needle and see if that helps. If not your machine might need a deep thorough cleaning, more than a simple brush out. Instructions should be in the machines manual. Remove the needle plate, open up the bobbin area and clean out EVERYTHING, focusing on the the feed dog area. It's probably jammed up with lint or has a bit of a broken pin or some type of debris in it. Also check the entire bobbin/feed dog/shuttle race area and clean out accumulated lint, any loose threads and look for tiny bits of metal. Look at the post that the bobbin is on and be sure that there's no thread wrapped around it. It happens. Be sure the bobbin case is free of lint and dirt. Check the shuttle race hook for burrs, rough spots and cracks. Be sure the hook has a point, if it hits the needle the point of the hook can break off. Are the feed dogs screwed tightly in place? wiggle them. Do they move? They shouldn't, they should be tightly in place. With no thread in the needle, the bobbin and bobbin case in place and the machine opened up turn the hand-wheel and watch what happens. Is the needle hitting something inside? Is the hook hitting the needle? Are the dogs running freely, or are they hesitating or not moving? Try with the needle and bobbin threaded and the machine open. Is the hook in the bobbin area catching the thread? Or is it missing? These problems could be timing issues and that needs to be professionally repaired. If your machine hasn't had a tune up in a while then a trip to the technician would be a good idea. Like cars, they need occasional tune up, oil changes and regular maintenance. Mine get a check up twice a year and it's a worthy investment. The average home sewer should have theirs checked every 12-18 months depending on how much you use your machine.

• bitter

Singer Sewing Machine Troubleshooting

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I just bought a Singer 2932 yesterday. I read through all the directions and then winded the bobbin (went smoothly), threaded the upper thread (went smoothly), and pulled the bobbin thread up (went smoothly) all exactly as I had been told to. But when I started sewing it was all bunched up on the...

Source(s): singer sewing machine bobbin thread bunching up: https://tinyurl.im/c5teO
  • Vortex

Make sure there is not too much thread on the bobbin. Make sure the flat on the needle points in the correct direction and the thread comes through it in the correct direction. If this fails the shuttle may have an incorrect shape and need replacing. The thread should also come out of the bobbin at the right place. I am sure you probably know all this bit it is all I can think of. Good Luck!

I have had this happen when I did not have my machine threaded correctly on top. It could also be your tension that needs to be adjusted. Good luck and enjoy your new machine!

• Zardoz

The upper thread tensioner needs to be turned up, but that is the first thing that your book should have suggested. The second cause is the thread binding in the fabric due to friction. You can test this by waxing the tread immediately following the upper thread tensioner. If that fixes the problem try sewing with a smooth thread (Mercerised cotton). Polyester threads can sometime heat due to friction and bind (weld) with some types of cloth.

Edit: @ Kay; You rule. I've been using that machine for 30 years and never knew that linkage was there. I just went down and looked the machine over, took off the cover plate and there it was. I tested it and it did exactly as you described. I've been having loop problems with it sporadically on and off now for the last few years, and I couldn't figure out why. I now know. My nimbleness isn't what it used to be, and I've taken to occasionally threading the needle with the foot down.

Thank you very much for teaching me something new today. You've certainly earned my vote for best answer.

.

Source(s): [n] = 10ⁿ I'm promoting this as a convention. I encourage you all to join me. It's fast, it's fun and it's free.

Had the same problem. As a last resort I changed the thread and it cured the problem. Maybe it was a bit of luck but it's worth a try.

• I also changed the thread too!

It could be that the tension is too loose or you need to rethread the bobbin

Source(s): Me

On the side of the bobbin case there is a screw you need to tighten (tension adjustment). It may need to be tightened or loosened each time you have a different fabric.

Im still new at all this sewing stuff but loving!! it... iv been so frustrated the past few days and now finally my machines working again..

Thank-you so much for this valuable info..it turned out to be the tiny screw on the side..

http://paydotcom.net/r/43498/astrumdixon/27333667/