Culinary school for a vegetarian?

I absolutely love cooking and working in restaurants, in the past year it's pretty much the only thing that's made me happy. Problem is I'm a vegetarian and I've talked to a bunch of chefs and they've told me culinary school wouldn't work for a vegetarian since they have the mentality of "try everything." I really don't want to eat meat again but I don't want to not try something I love to do. Anyone have experience with this?

Favorite Answer

time to do the research and call around.

explore the internet with single phrases such as:

Vegan Culinary Schools In The USA,

Vegan Culinary Schools,

Vegetarian Culinary Schools In The USA,

and Vegetarian Culinary Schools

in the search box of google at http://www.google.com

and the search box at http://www.yahoo.com

I know they want you to "try everything you cook" but there are plenty of vegetarian chefs. You will have to still cook meat (which you're probably okay with). It will be harder for you to perfect cooking meat but if you study hard and pay close attention on how to cook meats perfectly you will be fine. It will be more work on your part but if it's your dream it's worth it no matter what. Good luck!

Source(s): vegetarian that loves to cook
  • nahid

you may besides forgo culinary college. you'd be predicted to practice dinner beef, beef, fish, chicken and different meats. there is not any way round it - and regardless of in case you probably did grow to be a professional chef, no-body is going to employ you in case you refuse to practice dinner dishes including animal flesh. that is extremely too undesirable that you've fallen for the concept vegetarianism is a thanks to bypass - that is not in good structure and really, that is a few distance too consumer-friendly to fall into undesirable wellbeing via a continual deficit in certain considered necessary nutrition.

You don't have to try anything you don't want to. You won't be as good with cooking the meats, but who cares if you don't plan on cooking for a regular restaurant, right? Don't worry too much about it...you'll do fine! :)