I'm planning an overnight hiking trip in Moab Utah.?

I'd like to hike for the day then camp for the night and hike back the next day. Looking for any advise as far as a destination, what to pack, wear, etc. I assume I could hike 10-15 miles and prefer to be as far away from civilization as possible. Thanks.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Needles District of Canyonlands is excellent for backpacking, with assigned camps to help insure your itinerary and well marked trail system. A permit and fee is required for Canyonlands National Park. You could also get a jet boat into the heart of canyonlands with Tex's Riverways or Tag-A-Long Expeditions to hike the Maze from a river side base camp.

Also from there, you could catch the Indian Creek Road, which runs into Lockhart Basin and Hurrah Pass to make your back to Moab.

Or try Trough Springs into Kane Springs back to Moab. That is, if you use topographical maps.

If it is a hot summer month there are trails in the La Sal Mountains or you can even go hut to hut with Tag-A-Long Expeditions' huts.

Arches National Park has backpacking and conditions: you can camp within site of the established trails, which means try hiking from the Klodike Bike trails across the Klondike Bluffs to Devil's Garden or beyond in the Yellow Cat area for a sense of discovery.

Water is going to be an issue for Arches National Park and Canyonlands Needles.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Hiking in Moab's fine. Arches National Park has lots of trails but their rather short ones. You could probably cover several if you want to do 10-15 miles. You can also hike Sedona in AZ. More than a hundred trails there. You can be as far from civilization as you like.

• 8 years ago

Is there a state or national park where you will be hiking? If so, then check out the websites.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.