Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 8 years ago

Looking for an a-bolt rifle that is ALASKAN approved?

I am planning on moving to Alaska very soon and I plan on doing as much hunting as I can So I was wondering if anyone can help me out with finding an American-made rifle that can take down a at least a caribou and possibly even a brown bear. So basically I am looking for a bolt action rifle that I can **** up anything that moves with out destroying some of the only meat you can find not pumped full of chemicals. Thanks!

• Dan B
    Favorite Answer

Being an Alaskan, I think you are talking about two different rifles (calibers). Caribou are not tough to take. Any of the mid-range rifle calibers commonly accepted for whitetail deer will work fine in most situations. But the calibers MOST recommended for the big bears are WAY over gunned for the likes of caribou, mountain goats/sheep, black bear, and blacktail deer. Frequently, you will hear recommendations for the .338 magnum as being a good bear cartridge, and it is. Been there ~ Done that! I shot my most recent grizzly with a 7mm Rem. Mag. Two bears I witnessed being shot before mine were also shot with the big "7". Ironically, the grizzly just before them was shot with a .222. As the hunter said who shot it, "You just have to let the air out of 'em. They don't go far with no lungs!" It was his second grizzly with that same caliber. Personally, I would never try it. My own preference for the bears is AT LEAST a .30-06 with 220 grain slugs, but I would MUCH rather have one of the belted magnums with the heaviest, bone-busting bullet I can load. (I like the .338) My number one priority is to "STOP" the bear first....get him OFF his feet, and THEN to finish him off with the kill shot. That means breaking down shoulders, spine, etc. But when ALL is said and done, it isn't always the size or power of the projectile the takes down a big bear. Quite often, the success or failure of a firearm depends entirely on the "loose nut" on the other end of the barrel at the opposite end of the stock. (the shooter) No matter what rifle and caliber you carry, it won't amount to a tinker's damn if you don't know how to use it proficiently and accurately. If I were guiding you, I would much rather you bring your tack-driving .30-06 that you are skilled with than know you were carrying a cannon that had you gun-shy of being bruised and battered by recoil. Get the picture? Good luck.

As for the brand or manufacturer of your rifle? Shop around and lift/hold them all. Find the one that feels the best and most comfortable in your hands and at your shoulder. I have a preference for Remington and/or Browning with Winchester being just below them. I also own a GREAT Savage that will hold its own with any of them. One of the finest I ever owned was not American made and if I could, I would not hesitate to own another Sako Finnbear in .338. The final choice really should be your own and not ours. Best of luck in the process of choosing the pick of the litter. That's part of what makes buying a gun FUN! Go for it and enjoy the experience!

Source(s): Been there ~ Done that!
  • august

,300 Winchester Magnum, .300 Remington Ultra Magnum, .338 Winchester Magnum, .338 Lapua, .35 Whelen, .375 H&H Magnum, .45-70 Government (lever action, not bolt action), etc.

You'll be paying a pretty penny for some of those calibers, though. I'd suggest something in the .300 Win Mag range for normal hunting, and .45-70 for a brush gun.

If you have excess money to spend, get the .300 RUM. You can buy three different levels of loads, all far more expensive than even .300 Win Mag. Level 1 mimics the characteristics of a .30-06, which would be ideal for hunting elk. Level 2 is closer to a .300 Win Mag, and Level 3 is the full-power round which has more energy than the .300 Win Mag.

Cost per box of 20 is about $30 for Level 1, up to around $50-$100 for Level 3, depending on the bullet you choose.

• akluis

okay, did you get a little sloppy writing that question, or are you restricting yourself to the Browning A-bolt rifle? http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.as...

You really are asking for two rifles..maybe even three.

For bear defense, for going after bear in thick cover, for hunting wounded bear the choice is basically 338 winmag or bigger. However the 338 winmag has some stout recoil and the bigger calibers even morso.

For most normal hunting of big bears you have a huge range advantage. Shooting a bear at 200 yards is a lot different than having a bear coming at you from 50 or 25 yards. For hunting of bear a 300 winchester magnum or 7mm remington magnum (or the short-mag equivalents) would be good choices. While not as bad of a kicker as 338 winmag, the 300 winmag kicks darn hard too. The 7mm remington magnum kicks less hard than the 300 by a noticable margin, but still kicks harder than a 30-06 or 270 winchester.

For caribou and smaller a nice 270 winchester is all you need. Match it with a 300 winmag for bear hunting or 338 winmag for bear defense.

• go to rugers website. look at bolt actions and pick a caliber. i know plenty of people who live in ak that only hunt with 270 for everything. i wouldnt recommend it, something in the 300s sounds better. 300 for example

• Mr.357

If you want to not soil you panties shooting a brown bear, you should look at something in the .338 Mag or .375 H&H mag size. You probably want to wait until you get to your area in AK to see what ammo is available. A .458 Lott won't do you much good if you don't have ammo for it.

• Jake

Is this a caliber question?

I would go with .300 win mag; but some would consider that too light for brown bears.

• chris

Any of the magnum calibers 30-06 and above will do just fine