Fellow Seniors (and everyone else): Have you ever heard of Yahoo doing anything as insane and abusive as this?

Several days ago I was catching up on reading all the Best Answer notices I'd received in recent weeks--several dozen of them--and also some emails from other Seniors. (Thanks to all for the kind words. For MishMash: I buy and sell old houses for a living.) And suddenly I no longer had access to my mail.... show more Several days ago I was catching up on reading all the Best Answer notices I'd received in recent weeks--several dozen of them--and also some emails from other Seniors. (Thanks to all for the kind words. For MishMash: I buy and sell old houses for a living.)

And suddenly I no longer had access to my mail. Except for two items. An email telling me I'd been REPORTED for something I'd said a couple of weeks ago. And an email SENT ONE MINUTE LATER telling me that I was now prohibited from accessing my mail or any of my other content on Yahoo or any of its affiliates (Flickr, Yahoo Finance, Yahoo Connect, My Yahoo, etc.).

As a TOP CONTRIBUTOR who has never been reported for anything in the approximately one year that I have had the account, I was bewildered, to say the least.

The answer that was reported was to a rather silly question. "How old are the seniors?" (I'm paraphrasing.) Most of the answers were also silly, including mine. "I'm eight and a half," I said, "but I look older." Pretty funny, I thought. Surely nobody would be offended by such harmless and lighthearted comedy.

So after setting up another email account on another web portal, I was finally able to ask for an explanation from Yahoo, and after several days received a message from "D.K. Stans" (no location, title, or gender), refusing to answer my questions and only saying that Yahoo's decision would NEVER be reversed. (Then I received a "Customer Satisfaction" form asking me to describe how "pleased" I was with D.K. Stans' "service.")

Yahoo has a rule that says nobody can actually BE a young child and participate in Yahoo Answers. When you sign up for Yahoo Answers, you legally stipulate that you are not a child. But fortunately, there is NO RULE allowing Yahoo to penalize anyone for making a JOKE about being a child--or a dog or a pig or a cartoon character, for that matter.

I guess I don't mind so much that Yahoo has destroyed a year's worth of my work and the nearly ten thousand points I earned during that time. I GUESS that's a PERFECTLY REASONABLE consequence for making one humorous remark per year. But I think it's an outrage that they have summarily seized or perhaps even irrevocably destroyed (though I doubt that) all of MY information.

For those who agree that no internet company should be allowed to do this, I urge you to send a message to "D.K. Stans" at Yahoo Customer Care. For everyone's sake, not mine. (The case number is 89610983, and my screen name, as Seniors will remember, was "As long as you're up, get me a Grant's.")

You might want to point out to Ms. or Mr. Stans that Yahoo's competitor, Google, has a well-known motto: "Don't Do Evil." Maybe That's one reason that Google is such a terrific success and Yahoo is always mired in technical, ethical, and financial problems.

I'm also interested in hearing from any lawyers who think this might have the makings of a test-case to find out whether an internet behemoth like Yahoo--which maintains one of the world's largest "data warehouses" with over two quadrillion bytes of Information about us--can ultimately get away with such capricious and tyrannical behavior.

In any case, best wishes to the Seniors. I will miss you all--even those of you whose opinions sometimes gave me a headache.
Update: LATER DETAILS: Dr. Snark: Somebody always says "settle down." And it's often the first person who answers. Fortunately, most people don't pay that advice any mind. graponmytired: Good joke! But watch out. YAHOO will torture and execute you if they think you're trying to be funny! This is a... show more LATER DETAILS:

Dr. Snark: Somebody always says "settle down." And it's often the first person who answers. Fortunately, most people don't pay that advice any mind.

graponmytired: Good joke! But watch out. YAHOO will torture and execute you if they think you're trying to be funny! This is a SERIOUS place, you know! Shape up or DIE!

Number Six: That is over my head.

StellaMk2, and Lily: Thanks.

Ooops: As I indicated, I have lost intellectual property, which is of REAL VALUE. (Though in my particular case some might disagree.) Unlike "points," which are lost in an ordinary "suspension." There is a big difference between a Yahoo Answers account being SUSPENDED and an entire Yahoo I.D. being DISABLED across the board, which you may have failed to understand. As for the law, courts often find that contracts do not necessarily stand up simply because a much weaker party says "I agree." And MIGHT should never make RIGHT simply because th
Update 2: (PROBLEM WITH ADDING DETAILS. Is this working now? Let's see.)
Update 3: TYPICAL YAHOO SCREW-UPl Let's try again: From "...agree." agree. And MIGHT should never make RIGHT simply because the details are approved by the legal department. Glenda" That's a good philosophy. I will take it under consideration. Goddess of Laundry: Thanks. solo surprise: I don't... show more TYPICAL YAHOO SCREW-UPl Let's try again: From "...agree."

agree. And MIGHT should never make RIGHT simply because the details are approved by the legal department.

Glenda" That's a good philosophy. I will take it under consideration.

Goddess of Laundry: Thanks.

solo surprise: I don't believe anyone could honestly mistake me for an eight year old. And besides, my joke was not really about children anyway. It was abut the way that we feel as we age, which is a completely appropriate observation to make in a forum about Seniors. And in any case, the question is moot because I legally averred that I am an adult, thus relieving Yahoo of any responsibility for my possible delinquency or moral turpitude.

truth!, Thomas, and Marilyn: Thanks.

Leroy: I am sorry that I ever differed with you. I like your thinking. (And thanks for the star!)

(TESTING: ARE THESE "DETAILS" STILL POSTING? Let's see.)
Update 4: OK then. From "...Leroy" Blink: I AM a liberal, though NOT an Obamacrat. (He's not liberal ENOUGH for me, if you can imagine that.) But I think your remarks make a lot of sense. Roe: I know exactly what you mean. And I am against censorship whether it comes from the Right or the Left. neiliam2: I... show more OK then. From "...Leroy"

Blink: I AM a liberal, though NOT an Obamacrat. (He's not liberal ENOUGH for me, if you can imagine that.) But I think your remarks make a lot of sense.

Roe: I know exactly what you mean. And I am against censorship whether it comes from the Right or the Left.

neiliam2: I haven't seen any obscenity on this site. (Though I wouldn't mind it.)

mrwizard: I remember that. I said that Thomas was "probably a fifteen year old girl." Another joke. But I'm not sure of your meaning. If Thomas really were fifteen, that would make him the criminal here, not me.

janet, Oh snap, and Whortleberry: Thanks.