Is it OK to make a shower curtain rod out of PVC pipe?

My GF says the toxins in PVC are so bad that I shouldn't do it, but I am running out of options because I need a non-standard round shower curtain rod but don't want to spend $400.oo on it

Thanks--

Would the hot water cause it to give off harmful vapors?

Favorite Answer

your GF is Uninformed [nuts]

I have a pvc pipe on my garden tub couldn't fine a curved one to fit, so i made my own,

Pvc only gives off vapors when heated

Source(s): old timer /maint man

Flexible Shower Curtain Rod

PVC pipe, along with duct tape, are the two best materials for any problems you ever have. yes you can use it for a shower curtain rod. no it is not going to leech deadly poisons into you because of a hot shower you might be taking. that is ridiculous.

in response to your additional details, i'm just going to quote myself here: "no it is not going to leech deadly poisons into you because of a hot shower you might be taking. that is ridiculous."

to be more specific and serious, tap water goes to about 140F, which is about the max temp you would want to use PVC for. so for a shower curtain rod , which doesn't have any water directly on it, the warmest it's going to get wont be anywhere near 140F. and that's not even taking in to account the fact that most people don't take showers at 140F

She is mistaken. PVC is used extensively for water pipe and sewer pipe in the USA. Over 2 million miles in service. It is used in homes also. There is no problem using it.

For additional info see at link below.

[PS: $400 ? Not sure how any rod could be that expensive]

Source(s): http://www.vinylinfo.org/ Piping Engineer for 30 years.
    • atlantis956 years agoReport

I saw a shower curtain on amazon for over $2,000.00, and no that is not a typo it said $2,000.00!

• lo

That's absurd about saying there are toxins in PVC. PVC is used for drinking water pipe!

Depending on what diameter and thickness of pipe you use, it may be too flexible and will sag. Check how rigid it is at the store before buying it.

Your GF needs to do some homework. There is nothing wrong with using PVC. It has been used for drinking water for over 50 years.

if you plan on licking the rod (that sounds wrong i know) on a regular basis you still probably wont have any problems pvc is very stable unless you burn it and breath the smoke but im shure you are not that stupid. 400 for a shower rod in my country you could buy many rods with that LOL

She's talking rubbish. Use what you want.