Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificChina · 9 years ago

Why is Jeremy Lin so rude to media and told them to ''back off'' his family in Taiwan?

Favorite Answer

No, "back off" is Adrian Wojnarowski's summary of what Jeremy Lin said its not to be taken word for word especially as Jeremy Lin's words are printed right after it which quote.

"“The special request I have is for the media back in Taiwan to give (my family) space, because they can’t even go to work without being bombarded, without people following them,” Lin said at Madison Square Garden.

“I want people to respect their privacy.”"

Summary's are often produced to save space in articles.

I can take this China daily headline "Film academy bans facelift and tattoo" and troll with it too by saying that, that the Chinese film academy has made facelifts and tattoos illegal in China.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as call it rude. He simply asked that they back away from invading his Taiwanese family's privacy, and give them a little more space in which to conduct their normal lives. That's a reasonable request.

I wonder if his "Chinese" family, whoever they may be (it was a long time ago that majority of his ancestors moved to Taiwan), are undergoing the same media stress (presumably while rotting in their graves).

To correct our resident racist, Jeremy Lin is an American of TAIWANESE descent! He's no more "Chinese" than Americans are "British". In fact, the present-day China, better known as the PRC, had absolutely nothing to do with his upbringing. If you want generalities, then Jeremy is Asian-American (like European-American). If you want to get specific about COUNTRIES and ETHNICITIES, then he is Taiwanese-American. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a total idiot, and not afraid to show his/her selfishness, stupidity, and ignorance to others. There are only two Chinas in the world, the ROC and the PRC, and Jeremy's family was living on Taiwan long before either of those political entities laid claim to it.

@retarded Star - Actually, the US Media has also been interviewing Lin's family here in Taiwan.

Source(s): WNL

He's asking the media to respect the privacy of his extended family in Taiwan which is a totally fair request. Every civilian deserves a life with no meddling, intrusion, pressure for no reason at all. How do like cameras flashing, microphones right before your face as soon as you step out of your house, and cars following you around? His grandma is 85 years old!

Source(s): ll

Jeremy Lin did not use the words, "back off." The writer of the article did. Lin's words were (as quoted in the article):

“The special request I have is for the media back in Taiwan to give (my family) space, because they can’t even go to work without being bombarded, without people following them,” Lin said at Madison Square Garden.

“I want people to respect their privacy.”

Since when is it considered to be rude to ask people to leave your family alone? He spoke respectfully and appropriately in making his request.

His family probably ask if he could request for media to respect their privacy,His grandmother is 85 years old isn't used too this attention. None of them are.. I believe he family is low key and just liked having their privacy. even though they're happy for attention he's getting :)

• Martin

Per the full context of what he said, it's a reasonable request. People have rights to their own privacy.

I see you have NEVER had any contact with the US media. They are rude and self centered, they take what you say and then only print what will make THEM look good. They infringe on all of your privacy with no care about you or what trouble they can create. The media in the US tries to make the news not report it. I do not blame this man at all for anything, blame the media for being such idiots.

The Taiwanese people keep claiming Jeremy Lin being one of their own, eventually, their self-fulfiling prophecy took into effect within themselves, and they started really believing that Jeremy Lin is one of their own and that they have every right to do whatever they want to.

According to a Taiwanese professor who teaches in one of the universities in Taiwan, the Taiwanese people have a sense of inferiority in face of China. So, when Jeremy Lin comes iinto the spotlight and becomes famous, Taiwanese people become desperate to make Jeremy Lin one of them.

I personally think that Jeremy Lin is bringing a lot of pride to all of the Chinese descendants, regardless where they live, Taiwanese people should not stop other Chinese descendants from having this pride. Their crazy behavior makes them look stupid.

By the way, my mom also takes pride of having a Chinese descendant and a Christian in the NBA. During her Sunday Church service, my mom said a prayer to God to ask God to give Jeremy Lin wisdom and strength in his games. My mom doesnt claim anything but enjoys this joyful moment quietly.

Whomever he is,I don't blame him.It would be nice to bury all paparazzi alive...