SMc12
Lv 5
SMc12 asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 9 years ago

How expensive is a Dangerous Game of African safari?

Let's say I wanted to go on a 2-week safari with the aim of collecting the Safari Club International Dangerous Game of Africa Grand Slam.

What sort of budget (ballpark) should I expect to be able to do this (including permit/export/taxidermy costs)?

Thanks.

Update:

The Dangerous Game of Africa grand slam consists of the African Big 5 (Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Rhino, and Buffalo) plus the Hippopotames and Nile Crocodile. While you only need 5 of the 7 to qualify, you can't count more than 4 of the Big 5. Of course, bagging all 7 would be ideal (and I believe possible, given a 14-day safari).

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

don't believe you can shoot rhino any more. Elephant is in the $20-$50,000 range, buffalo is in the $10K range...this is just to shoot the animal...air-fare $1500ish. Taxidermy?....also, not just any gun will do...i'm not saying you need the double rifle like the PH sometimes carry, but a friend has one and it is a 5 figure gun...........

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It would be very costly. I would say that whatever else anybody has posted is probably accurate.

And while you are at it, if you really wnated to fit the image of the African big-game hunter, why not purchase a Holland and Holland double rifle? That will set you back another 25,000 dollars MINIMUM

• akluis
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

$300,000

Honestly, you are MUCH better off making multiple trips to Africa going after 2 each time and then rounding out the rest of your two weeks with warthog, baboon, zebra, plus the plethora of antelope there. If you have hunted these before, you can ALWAYS go after trophy examples of these.

• WC
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Too expensive for common working people to afford. Bare minimum is around $30,000. It can run up as high as$75,000+.This is an adventure/vacation for the super rich.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

From others who have done this: $20-50,000 per animal.

• 9 years ago

if you gave to ask then chances are you cant afford it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.