Mohela took over my loan from the Department of Education and claimed it could change the terms?

I got a notice a few months ago that Mohela was taking over my student loan from the Direct Loan Servicing Center and several payments have been made with auto-debit to Mohela at the correct amount of $1289.78. The loan was consolidated under a single loan about 10 years ago with a 30 year term and with a fixed... show more I got a notice a few months ago that Mohela was taking over my student loan from the Direct Loan Servicing Center and several payments have been made with auto-debit to Mohela at the correct amount of $1289.78. The loan was consolidated under a single loan about 10 years ago with a 30 year term and with a fixed interest rate of 4.95% (with the .25% deduction of the auto debit included). I have all the documentation to prove it and I am sure Direct Loan Servicing Center provided Mohela with this information.

I receive a letter yesterday raising my monthly payments to ~$11,057 a month and stating it was due to "Your terms have been re-calculated to maintain federal/program guidelines". Obviously, the new terms were not agreed upon by me and I can not afford this unbelievably high payment. I would like Mohela (loan previously with Direct Loan Servicing Center) to address this and return to the agreed upon monthly withdrawal of $1289.78 at the 4.95% interest rate for both loans combined as per the terms/disclosure and condition sheet that I possess demo Direct Loan Servicing Center. I do not understand why the change in the monthly payment amount without us requesting it since it was agreed upon already on a signed document between myself and Direct Loan Servicing Center. This breach of terms is not only improper but unethical and frankly not the right way to do business. If it is in error then they should have better quality (document) control. What is going on???
Update: Contacted Mohela today and at first they were adamant that I was wrong and they could not have made a mistake. But I was not going to let this go so I told them I had documentation and they were definitely off on this for sure. I read the representative the info from my disclosure statement from Direct Loan... show more Contacted Mohela today and at first they were adamant that I was wrong and they could not have made a mistake. But I was not going to let this go so I told them I had documentation and they were definitely off on this for sure. I read the representative the info from my disclosure statement from Direct Loan Servicing and let them know the loan matured in 2031 not 2013 as their most recent letter stated. It looked like someone had switched the last two digits. After about an hour on the phone and going thorough a supervisor at Mohela they came back and said their was an error on their side. I asked "who made the error, Mohela or Direct Loan Servicing" the representative said she didn't know because her supervisor just gave her the info regarding the mistake and not who made it. If I hadn't pushed for a resolution then I would have walked away with a payment which was ~10x the original. In any case, they said it would be reflected on my account in 48 hours and my
Update 2: My maturity date will return to 2031. Lets see what happens.
By the way, they said they never heard of you Will (Shaffner).
1 answer 1