How did Madonna become so successful through the 80s and 90s?

Everyone says that no one controlled their career or manipulated the press better than Madonna. What exactly does that mean?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Madonna has usually managed to be one step ahead of everyone else. And she blatantly used her sexuality, shock and controversy from the start. She's a product of the music video and synthesizer era, which has helped her to disguise her limited talent.

Also, she's a chameleon. After each album, she'd take a break to reinvent herself, and come back with a new image.

In the 1990s though she went a bit too far, with the sex and nudity, and started to get a backlash. She seemed to realize though that she needed to tone it down, and redeemed herself with the movie Evita, which basically saved her career.

Ray of Light was my favourite Madonna era, I do think she has improved as an artist over the years, she works hard at it and is always trying something new and different, to her credit.

• Login to reply the answers
  • kear
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

I truly like the 80s Madonna, particularly holiday, Get Into the Groove, fortunate celeb, and Borderline. The songs i admire from Madonna in the process the 90s is Take a Bow, Justify My Love, and perhaps style.

• 8 years ago

She made it big just like every other celebrity does, the recording industry made her. Some producers packaged her. In the beginning of her career they told her how to dress, what songs to sing, how to act. Now as she got older i must give her credit for being able to repackage herself and stay on top instead of just fading away. But really, people need to realize that many of these singers dont even write their own music and have little control over their careers-especially in the beginning first few years. Whitney Houston for instance is another good example, she never wrote a song. Just her producers handed her a paper-here Miss Houston, sing this!

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Don't get me wrong, even though I don't like Madonna and don't think she deserves to be as famous or well regarded as she is, she's done well to maintain her popularity over the years.

BUT, having said that, it’s pretty well known that for a large part of her early career Madonna basically slept her way to the top:

-First, she dated musician Dan Gilroy, who helped form her first rock band, the Breakfast Club.

-Then she dated drummer Stephen Bray, who helped her write and produce dance songs that became popular in New York clubs.

-Then she dated DJ/producer Mark Kamins, who helped her get a record deal with Warner Bros’ Sire Records.

-And then she dated DJ John "Jellybean" Benitez, who remixed several tracks on her first album Madonna, helping to create the hits "Borderline," "Lucky Star,” and "Holiday."

- It's also pretty well known that Madonna would force herself onto getting a co-writing credit on a song when she had very little to do with writing that particular song.

To break into movies, Madonna intially got a role in Desperately Seeking Susan, where she got bad reviews. So in 1985 she dated Sean Penn and surprise surprise, managed to co-star in a movie with him, ‘Shanghai Surprise’. She married, then quickly divorced Sean. She then started seeing middle-aged Warren Beatty and surprise surprise, co-starred with him in ‘Dick Tracy’. Her own docu-movie, Truth or Dare basically consisted of what she knows best, making out with dancers and other sexual acts.

Later on in life, in an attempt to re-start an acting career she would marry Guy Ritchie and star in Swept Away. A universally panned movie.

Her career has also lasted long because she has constantly tried to shock people:

- 1987: Using many religious symbols in her concert which caused controversy.

- Made a video for Justify My Love that was raunchy enough to be banned by MTV.

- Girlie Show tour in 1993: She dressed as a dominatrix and rubbed the Puerto Rican flag between her legs while on stage in Puerto Rico.

- Her appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman later that year when she swore at Letterman and then asked him to smell her underwear.

- 1992: Released a book with somewhat sexual pictures of her.

- Kissing Britney and Christina at the MTV Video Music Awards.

- Adopting a young Malawi boy whilst ignoring the law that required potential adoptive parents to have lived in Malawi for at least a year. She was later accused by the boy’s father that she took advantage of him because he didn’t even know what ‘adoption’ meant.

These are just some of the reasons why Madonna has lasted as long as she has. She has slept with the people that could help her get started and maintained that strategy the whole way through her career as well as constantly trying to shock people.

Are there others who can sing better than Madonna? Yes.

Are there others that can write better songs than Madonna? Yes.

Are there others that can dance better than Madonna? Yes.

Are there others that will sleep with as many men as Madonna has just to get ahead? Probably not.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

The simplest way to explain it is metaphorically, Madonna got her mink coat the same way the mink got it.

• 8 years ago

She is very intelligent, unlike many of the "diva" bimbos floating around out there. As soon as people got tired of her act, she reinvented herself, came out with a different look, made movies, etc., and kept herself in the limelight.

• She;s like lady gaga she was controversial and people liked someone who broke the rules, after she had tonnes of fans she milked it and kept sucking more people into her songs. i fell for her latest single, somehow.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Satan promoted her.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.