Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 8 years ago

Can I use feeder fish as pets in this situation?

Hi I have a baby tadpole African clawed frog, so I know that as long as the fish are bigger, he won't attack it. Don't argue about this. I've seen plenty videos on YouTube where owners put there ACF with goldfish, and even Angelfish.

So I was wondering if I could use feeder goldfish as pets, since they cost 5 cents, while the normal ones that are ment for pets cost around 5 dollars. The thing I'm concerned about is that the feeder goldfish aren't meant to be kept as pets, so they might carry diseases, or they might already be really weak or sick, which could infect the water and therefore hurt my frog.

So are feeder goldfish safe to keep as pets in a 15 gallon tank with 1 baby african clawed frog?

Favorite Answer

Feeder goldfish, or common goldfish, grow 15+ inches long and need at least 75 gallons. I currently have some feeders who are well over 10 (and growing) inches in my outdoor pond, they are only around 2.5 years old.

The smallest of goldfish need at least 30 gallons, I wouldn't recommend putting any in a 15 gallon.

ACFs are best kept alone or with other ACFs, you could keep two in a 20 gallon. The only thing I can think of that could go in a tank that size without being eaten are apple snails. The frogs just don't seem very interested in them and often just pass by.