Skin to skin contact after c-section in recovery room?

Will I need to ask for skin to skin contact after my c-section in the recovery room when I attempt to breastfeed or do the hospital staff automatically assume you want this? Will they think I'm crazy if I want to be skin to skin with her or is it common for mothers to ask for this??

Favorite Answer

There is such a thing as a 'natural csection' which when having a planned one is possible to arrange, though you may need to ask for help from a doula to explain to the consultants.

I had a second emergency csec in september but on my birthplan i had written i wanted him put on my chest as soon as he was born and while they were stitching me up, it was tricky and i needed help holding him, but my milk came in better then and when we were in recovery he was willing to latch on. it is supposed to be better to have the skin to skin asap as it can also help with the uterus contracting back. but they would usually assume that you wanted to skin to skin by the time you get to recovery especially if you want to breastfeed. you can ask for whatever you want, your baby, your body and they are required to honour all but the most bizarre requests. i found by writing the birth plan in advance, discussing with the medics and being polite but positive about my requests helped us have the birth we wanted despite the emergency csec.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

Source(s): http://www.earth-mama.co.uk/#!other-services/vstc3... - Holly will always try and help people to arrange the natural birth plan. failing that - google more.
  • Jackie

You have to check with the hospital and its policies. Some hospitals don't want the mother to hold their baby for 3 hours after birth by c-section because they're worried about you taking care of a newborn while being drugged up. Other hospitals know how important skin to skin contact and bonding is in the first few hours of a baby's life and are very open to facilitating that. Make sure you know which your hospital is, and if it's the former, you may want to look in to changing hospitals. Wishing you the best!

• Momma

The nurses at the hospital I had my daughter at were awesome. I wasn't able to hold her right away, but it was only about 15 minutes after I was brought back into my room that they put her skin to skin with me so I could breastfeed her. I think it's common for mothers to ask for it and I would definitely mention it to them when you go in.

Source(s): Mom to Savanna Carolynn born June 13, 2011 <3

Well they don't let you hold the baby right away so it will be hard to do right after but once you get your room you can do it how you want it's your child and the only people that walk in are the doctors and nurses which have already seen all of you and they are not going to deny you the breastfeeding anyway you want to do it they try to encourage it.

• ?

You'd have to ask your surgeon but providing there are no complications I cant see why not

I was handed my baby while they were still stitching me up and carried her through to recovery where after she was dressed and given get vitamin k she was placed beside me for a feed, that was within 15 mins of birth and while first few days of feeding weren't easier I think it made my milk come in quicker.

Good luck :-)

I think it depends on the hospital. Both of mine hospitals encouraged it. But my second hospital even more. They were very encouraging of breast feeding, even in the recovery room. I sure hope they don't think you are crazy for suggesting it, as I am not sure I would want to deliver there if they did.

It's very common, and they encourage it. When my daughter was born via c-section and I was in recovery, they gave her to my husband and let them have privacy so that HE could put her skin-to-skin until I could do it and start breastfeeding.

The nurses I had strongly recommended it because they said it helps to stabilize the babys temperature. If they dont tell u to, tgey certainly wouldnt think it was weird if you just did it.