Global water shortage -- why not use distillation on seawater?

Excuse my ignorance, but I've been reading a bit about how the world could face a shortage of freshwater (potable) in the very near future, and it got me thinking of possible solutions. One obvious "solution" that was immediately apparent to me was distilling water. That is: boiling salt water, and... show more Excuse my ignorance, but I've been reading a bit about how the world could face a shortage of freshwater (potable) in the very near future, and it got me thinking of possible solutions.

One obvious "solution" that was immediately apparent to me was distilling water. That is: boiling salt water, and capturing the steam. I do this all the time when I go camping near the coast. I take a metal pot, put a small bowl inside, flip the pot lid upside down and when the salt water starts to boil, the desalinated water condenses in the middle of the lid, and drips down into the small bowl.

So my question is, if the world is truly facing a freshwater shortage, why couldn't we apply the same principles of distillation to desalinate water? I understand that it would require a lot of fuel to: 1) funnel the water from the ocean, and 2) keep the water boiling, but how [in]efficient would it really be?

My thinking is, since Earth is covered with 70% salt water, water itself isn't in shortage -- we just need to find an efficient way to desalinate it, am I right?