what else can I use with microsoft security essentials for security protection?
- ?Lv 79 years agoFavorite Answer
Get an adblocker, unless you watch videos on sites such as ABC CBS Fox NBC, and other similar sites that are television based, as they may not allow you to watch them with an adblocker. An adblocker such as Simple Adblock for I.E. or Adblock Plus for Firefox, Chrome, Opera and some other wen browsers, will prevent advertisements, which can be hijacked and take you to scamware or scare sites for false malware scanners which actually contain malware. These are free to use, and add a layer of protection from hijacked advertisements, that malware scanners can't cover you against, from hijacked flash based advertisements. But just like any malware scanner they need to be kept up to date.
- WillyLv 69 years ago
The most important thing is to keep your PC up-to-date with the latest security releases for your software (not just your Operating System). Use Secunia PSI, it's free and easy to use.
Also use WOT, it will warn you of known 'bad' websites. Free and simple to use.
When you get a bit more experienced, use NoScript for Firefox.
HiJackThis is excellent but should only be used by people who know how to interpret the results, otherwise it can do far more damage than good.
Ad-Aware is pretty mediocre (at best) and has been sold off by Lavasoft.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is very good, free and works OK with MSE.
- sortierLv 59 years ago
- you definitely need a good up-to-date virus scanner, I recommend avast! (free)
- if you are doing online banking, a program to confuse key loggers, e.g. KeyScrambler (free)
- a tool to check your system for attacks and irregularities , e.g. hijackthis (free)
- a tool for in depth checks if something is suspicious, e.g. malwarebytes (free)
- switch of automatic HTML-display of e-mails
- never open unkown e-mail attachments
- Rude BoyLv 59 years ago
only use one antivirus
free antivirus only provide basic protection so i advise you to buy paid one like Eset or kaspersky.