why does my 2006 gsxr throttle either accelerate or decelerate? there is not middle?

This only happens sometimes. I will be riding and i will accelerate to my wanted speed then ill slowly roll off the throttle until i can keep a steady speed but then once im bout to get to it the throttle then just stops giving gas and it begins engine braking. then im try to roll back on the throttle and accelerate back up to the steady speed and but it goes past it and keeps repeating itself creating a very uncomfortable stop n go kind of ride. Anyone have any ideas what this could be? the only mod i have is a m4 slip on. PLZ LET ME KNO?

Favorite Answer

If it's fuel injected, I'd consider the throttle position sensor. Also, how much free play is there in the throttle cable? On most bikes, at the twist grip you should have around 1/8" of movement until you feel resistance in either direction. Since it only happens sometimes, I wouldn't suspect the exhaust modification. Don't forget to check for any leaking vacuum lines. While pretty remote, one of the butterflies in the throttle body could be loose on the throttle shaft. I had that happen on a garden tractor and it had the same symptoms you describe. Not real likely, but it is a possibility.

If your bike has a closed loop FI system, it will have an oxygen sensor in the exhaust somewhere. A bad 02 sensor normally causes them to run too rich, but if the wire connection has come loose, that could cause fluctuations in fuel delivery. If that's the case, your FI warning light should come on.

Oh, if your TPS is adjustable with slotted holes behind the retaining screws, if you decide to mess with it, take spray paint and spray over the ears and screws. That way you can replace it in the exact position it was in when it came off. Those things are so sensitive that even a tiny bit of movement greatly effects how much fuel is metered. I have actually opened up TPSs and cleaned the carbon film resistor to make them work like new. Not a job for the inexperienced or faint of heart.

Source(s): I know FI systems.
  • Dustin

i have a 07 gsxr 1000 and it is the same way, it got worse when i installed a power commander. It has to do with the fuel injection. they were made to go or not go. even a little fuel is allot when it comes to the twist of the throttle. nothings wrong just the way they are.

As well as what the other guys said, check your chain tension. Make sure it is correct (or even a little bit tight) as I find it difficult to keep an even speed with a lot of driveline shunt from a loose chain.

• Tomcat

The reason being that when on the open road you cannot control how much air is going through the system at a certain speed,because of a few variables such as cross wind-head wind-tail wind-even humidity will affect it.The only time the air is metered is when it is going through the jets,otherwise its full volume.Not an uncommon problem on any bike

Source(s): DoinitatahundredCBR929