At what point do you take your child to the hospital for a fever?

She is 20 months old, and has a fever of 39.5 degrees celsius (103F) .. I have given her panadol, but there is no change. Apart from the fever though, she is perfectly happy, but her whole body is really hot to touch. Her nappies are wet, shes been drinking some water, but mostly breastmilk .. Its 3 am here atm.

She has all her teeth except her 2 year old molars, I don't think they're coming through though :) And shes never had a fever from teething.

I put her in a singlet and have a fan on, she is asleep now lying next to me and i dont want to wake her. She was shivering earlier when i put her in a luke warm bath. i can feel the heat radiating off her. I'm just confused because otherwise when she was awake she was perfectly happy and smiling.

• Pippin
    Favorite Answer

Toddlers tend to run fevers, often very high ones, with routine illnesses and viruses that rarely cause fevers in older children adn adults.

If she's otherwise happy and eating and playing and sleeping and wetting diapers, there's no definitely no need to rush to the hospital. It's probably either a minor virus or the beginning of something that will show itself more definitively over the next day or two.

If she's still sick in the morning, you can give her regular doctor a call, but he'll probably advise you to continue to keep an eye on her. (In the absence of actual symptoms it would be hard for him to diagnose anything.)

And of course, if at any point she does seem to get much worse (difficulty breathing, screaming in pain, very lethargic and unarousable [it's normal for baby to be sleepy when sick, but you should be able to wake her and she should be responsive when awake], convulsions, severe diarrhea/vomiting, you WOULD call the doctor (who should have a service answering the phone, even at 3 a.m.)

• Ruth C

That's a puzzler. If she seems well, I'd keep an eye on her and take her to the doctor as soon as possible. It would worry me that the meds are having no effect, and the shivering is a little alarming, too.

Most doctors have a service where you can call and the doctor will advise you. I'd suggest asking dr. if child should go to hospital at this time. (Or next time, since you probably have it under control by now.)

A fever is usually a good thing, the body's way of fighting of whatever bug she has. But I would keep an eye on her though, it should have responded a little to the medication. So, if it rises at all, or she starts to act listless then take her in.

Take her a luke warm bath not to hot not to cold a little colder then normal when shes done put wet sox on her feet and a wet rag around her neck and under her arm pits if it doesnt work bring her to the doctor.

Source(s): Mom of 2

i would give her a bath nd wet her head and see if the temp drops...i bet she is cutting new teeth