Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 8 years ago

How come Blacks had no chance against Whites during the Jim Crow era?

This is for homework and to be honest, I don't see why not? I have a hard time answering this question myself, b/c I thought that there was a pretty good # of African-Americans who could join together and stand up for themselves. Maybe they did, but the Whites still remained more dominant. Why?

Can you include topics like racial segregation, Jim crow laws, Booker t. Washington, etc?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Blacks were even worse off in some cases in the South due to lynchings and the fact that the Jim Crow laws made it near impossible for Blacks to vote. These laws included poll taxes and other things which a majority of blacks were unable to provide. Plessy v. Fergusen also cemented the separate but equal facilities making segregation inevitable and incredibly easy. Booker T. Washington wanted blacks to work in with society and made the Tuskegee institute for technical working jobs. This did not help blacks attain freedom because it only surrendered their will to fight against the system. Also, the lynchings scared blacks into not voting and the KKK also accomplished this goal.