I was born in mexico, does that make me mexican?

im puerto rican, but I was born in Mexico. does this make me mexican?

yes I am America citizen and have been since we moved to the u.s. when I was about 1, my dad is a u.s. citizen too. he moved here when he was like 10 he was just there for.business with Chrysler.

Favorite Answer

if your born in mexico then your not puerto rican, your mexican.

even if your parents and your whole family its puerto rican and you were born in mexico...this makes you a mexican. You might feel your not mexican and you relate to being puerto rican and this is true but by law and by governmental documentation you are considered mexican.

luis miguel (the famous hispanic singer), he was born in puerto rico and his parents are mexican, he was raised in mexico and he is all about mexico...he does not relate to puerto rico at all, but unfortunately he is puerto rican because this is were he was born.

Your social security is marked as being born in mexico not in puerto rico, this is what the law sees, this is what they consider you to be...born mexican. not puerto rican. By heart you are and you feel puerto rican and this is very true...you can tell people your puerto rican if you want but in government offices and to prove your legal identity you have to say your mexican.

You are officially a US citizen as I see...so this makes you mexican american, hispanic american, and by ethnicity only puerto rican.

• nane4 years agoReport

Why is this the best answer?

No, if both of your parents are puerto rican of course you're puerto rican by blood. Since your parents were American citizens when you were born (or your dad was), that would make you an American citizen through your dad. You have no ties to Mexico except that you were born there because you didn't grow up there or immerse yourself in their culture.

Source(s): Dad was in US Navy, moved around different countries. Sister born in another country but still considered American citizen.

If you are Puerto Rican born in Mexico then you are a Puerto Rican who was born in Mexico and that still makes you Puerto Rican. Now you may have Mexican citizenship but you are still Puerto Rican.

• Noelle

Yes, you're Mexican by Nationality but Puerto Rican by ethnicity.

Maybe you're Mexo-Puerto Rican.

• Nguyen

If your born in Mexico that makes you Mexican.

Mexican refers to where you are born from.

What country are you a citizen of?

• Mark

If one of your parents is an American citizen, so are you (and PR is part of the US). So, no,you're not Mexican unless you want to be.