my son is 3yrs old and he hasn't said a word?

my son is 3yrs old and does not talk all he knows is mother and daddy apart from that he does not talk any other words could there be a problem must i worry

• Rob
    Favorite Answer

he could be deaf or hearing impared.. He also might have autism. or some other mental disability

good luck

see a doctor

• (Im not saying your child has anything) i have a friend whos little brother has autismn and he doesnt talk that much and had trouble speaking and pronunciating words as a young child. Also when he starts school you can look into certain programs that can help him a lot. For example at my primary school there were days that they would pull students out and teach them these things(speech). Also in my school district there are individualized education plans AVAILABLE. I have a 504 plan that states i can have extra time for Work if needed because of my ADD and OCD because i longer to do things than other students. There are also other types of education plans and IED's(indivisualized education plan) Try talking to your childs pediatrician about possible diagnostics and any other concerniese you have. Also i found a link with a list of different speech disorders if that may help.

http://teachmetotalk.com/2008/02/22/why-cant-my-ch...

Source(s): I have ADD, OCD, and other experiences with this topic.

ask your health visitor about him being tested by speach and language specialists, he may just be slow on talking and then he'll be well away or could be something else, my friend recently found out her son has a syndrome that sort of makes him slower, he will be able to talk, and do everything like everyone else as he grows up through school etc it'll just take him little longer than others, he's 2 and half, best thing to know cuz then he's getting help from now on rather than later!

so defenitely ask your hv or gp hun xx

Source(s): mum to 6yr old,5yr old and 2 wk old

hello there im a mother of 2 and both my kids done this i dont belive that there is anything wrong just yet he may be just unsure you know he has use of his vocal cords as he knows mother and daddy its all about building his confadince he sounds like hes a bit insacure be patient with him talk to him with a nice calm relaxed voice be if he wants something to eat drink toy etc .. use the word of it and ask him nicely to say it dont pressure him take your time he will come around and if you are worried go see your dr but you wont know for 100% until he is at school as my daughter is now 6 and says some words the same way she did when learning like banana she will say nana as will my son or lemonade shell say memonade even though she can say it properly but you will get help with this good luck and let me know how it goes :) xx

I didn't talk until I was 3, and even then spoke very little. Get your son tested just to make sure his hearing is alright, and that he doesn't have autism or a speech or learning disability. But he's probably fine.

• A

Yes I'd worry but I would have done something about it before reaching the age of 3.

YOu need to talk to your doctor asap. I'm surprised they haven't said anything to you about his speech. Your doing your son a great disservice if you don't do something about this right now.

Source(s): mother of two.
  • D

You need to go have your child evaluated right now. You are missing your window of opportunity to intervene with whatever situation he has going on. Go to a pediatrician and/or a speech language pathologist right away.

You need to have him tested, my son is autistic and is 6 has very limited words

Child learn speaking words when someone talk to him,he slowly and gradually learn it!

In my opinion,you must to talk him more and more,so that he can learn more and more words.