Bedroom door can be opened with any card- how can I fix this or lock my window from outside?

I can lock my bedroom door all I want to but it can be opened by uninvited privacy invaders by anything from a credit card to a couple of pokemon cards. I went away for 3 days and came back to an extremely undesired situation which I won't go into here, but now I have to go away for a whole week. Is there a simple way to fix this without buying a lot of stuff from home depot? My door can't be jimmied open if I have something like a chair propped under the door knob- something I haven't had to do for several years but would gladly do now if I could then walk through my bedroom door and head off to the airport.

The room is on the first floor so I can then leave through the window which I do sometimes anyway just because it's much quieter than stirring the dog and leaving through the front if I need to head out after waking hours (no I'm not sneaking out or anything lol- I'm an adult). We've never had trouble with burglars or anything but the universe likes to send criminals to people who leave their front door unlocked for the first time in 40 years right? So I'd rather find a way of locking my window from the outside. Is there a simple lock I can buy from Lowes or even Walmart?

forgot to mention I don't want to install a deadbolt on the door. Nothing that will affect the door, door frame, or wall

• KMA
    Favorite Answer

If you look closely at the outside knob on passage lock you will find a small hole in the middle. Inserting a small nail in it will release the lock. They are designed that way to prevent small children from locking themselves in by accident (or not). I suspect this is what is really going on. Replace the push button type lock with one the needs a key. It will "look right" and won't cost as much or require any additional work to the door jamb as a dead bolt.

Source(s): I once had "sicky fingered" roomates and that's what I had to do.

It will involve a trip to Home Depot after all but no one will be able to get in unless they break the door down or smash your window. Get a single cylinder dead bolt lockset. You can get a Defiant brand for around $17. Take your handle lockset out by removing the two screws, pull inside and outside halves apart, then take the two screws holding the latch mechanism from the inside of the door. Replace those parts with the dead bolt in reverse. Now you have the bolt that will go straight into the latch on the door jamb and no one can use a credit card or butter knife to open it. You may have to jiggle the door to get the new square bolt to seat in the metal latch but it should fit just fine.

Buy a dead bolt lock and install that on your door. About $20 bucks if you can install it yourself. If you have a drill you can get an installation kit for probably $15-20 bucks that's pretty easy to use.

DOOR - Its called a dead bolt. Around 20 bucks at home depot (comes ith a key and easy to replace)

WINDOW - Cut a stick to length and put it so the window wont open, and when you want to open remove stick

--------------------------------

Dead bolts dont affect the door, you can swap it out with the handle that is there, and if you ever want to put it back to its original handle just save the old one and turn two screws

All you need to do is add some small nails right there. This will prevent anyone from sliding a card to unlock it. The nails will prevent the card going all the way in.

If it were me, I would just buy a new door knob and make sure it was installed properly and could only be opened with a key.

I think your best bet would be to have a deadbolt installed. They range anywhere from $25 and up, you should be able to get it installed for $50-$75.

Source(s): 35 yrs. carpenter/renovator
  • jenna

Hey I am here for the first time. I came across this question and I find the replies truly useful. I'm hoping to offer something back to the community and assist others too.