Is my iPhone 3GS Bricked?

I have an iPhone 3GS 16GB. It had been jail-broken and was working fine. I have recently tried to factory reset it to sell on and now nothing. If I turn the phone on I get the syncing screen (iTunes and cable) and when I plug it into my computer iTunes doesn't detect it. If anyone knows a fix for this id much appreciate it :) nb I have tried turning of while holding home button routine and im still in the same situation :(

Na nothing :( still stuck on the same screen and iTunes still not detecting it

Favorite Answer

I have seen this problem before and i believe if you put your iphone into DFU itunes will then recognize it and allow to to update or restore the phone.

Put your iphone into DFU mode like this:

1.Connect the iphone to your computer and launch itunes.

2.Turn the iPhone off (hold down the power button at the top of the iPhone).

3.Hold down the sleep/power button and home button together for exactly 10 seconds, then release the power button.

4.Continue to hold down the Home button until a message appears in iTunes telling you an iPhone in recover mode has been detected.

Your phone will appear like nothing is happening and the screen will be black, should itunes not detect the device holding the home/power button will take the phone out of DFU mode.

hope this helps you.

---if its still on the same screen as before you did not successfully enter DFU mode. It will be a black screen with a dim back light. refer to the link in the source for a quick guide to it, i'm 95% sure if you do it correctly it will work.

Rarely does a phone get Bricked so bad it can't be undone. Worst case scenario (if it is hard bricked meaning nothing at all happens when you attempt to start) bring it to the dealer and play dumb like "jeez all of a sudden for no reason the phone isn't starting".

There are two types of Bricking [What is BRICKING | WhatIsPedia]:

Soft Bricking: the device is not completely dead or destroyed. An example is the device can still begin the start up process but gets stuck in the middle.

Hard Bricking: the device is completely dead and does not start up at all.