Out of Spanish, Chinese, and Russian, which language should I learn?

Ok, first I want to tell you that I'm 13 and in 8th grade.

I'm taking my 3rd Spanish class and I know a little of the basics and I'm kinda interested in the culture.

I really want to learn Chinese though because I extremely love the culture (even though I'm african american) and wand to go to China or Japan on day, so I guess I could say Chinese or Japanese if you pick that one.

Last, but not least, Russian. I want to learn it because for my future career I want to be an astronaut. I know your gonna say its a small chance, so just pretend that I was going to be an astronaut. I know for a fact, that I have to learn Russian for the job.

Which one do you think I should pick?

I was gonna get the Rosetta Stone for the language, and I know it cost a lot so I want to learn one at a time. So if you say all of them, put them in order of which one I should learn.

• Favorite Answer

first things first you're already on your 3rd spanish year so you must have some knowledge of the language. now you have chinese(or japanese) and russian. you have to know that chinese and japanese are not one bit similar, even several glyphs for the same word can variate, chinese is easier on the grammar, but alot harder on the tones. japanese can be hard at first but if you give it a shot it get easier. and lastly russian, awesome in every way and very similar to japanese in the learning process, hard but worth learning.

the choise is really up to you, there are alot of free materials online to learn this languages, i would suggest trying to learn each one of these languages for a week and then continue your studies with the one you feel most comfortable learning.

on a personal note, being black never stoped anyone from having fun in asia, but some asian will stare at anyone thats not asian (white black latin what ever..) it has NOTHING to do with racism!

and rosetta stone is a complete waste of money.

russianpod101.com chineseclass101.com (dialogues and alot of sentences)

memrise.com the best place to learn vocabulary

busuu.com talk to natives(but only for russian, spanish, portuguese, polish, arabic and some other languages)

Source(s): me and my 5 languages.

I am in 8th grade as well as you. I speak English as a native language. I started learning Russian 2 years ago, and I have very fluent conversational skills already. If you want any job in astronomy/space related fields, Russian is probably the best to learn. After you learn the alphabet (NOT at all hard), much of it is a phonetic language.

Yes, Grammar IS difficult but, let's face it- if you're on the ISS and ask where the bathroom is in the accusative case instead of the dative case, no one will care!

If you can, get a real russian tutor instead of Rosetta Stone. I tried the Rosetta Stone Russian, and it does not prepare you well. I was speaking Russian at a pretty decent level, but when I talked to a real Russian person, I could't understand a word, because I was waiting for them to sound like a female radio voice-over

No matter though, all are great languages to learn. The most important thing is to not be discouraged by any of them.

Udachi! Good Luck!

Source(s): I speak Russian

First of all, congratulations on wanting to speak another language. I wish more native English speakers were like you.

Second, take no notice of the people who will advise you to learn Spanish because it is more practical for someone in the US. What matters is what you can get out of learning another language.

First of all, the most challenging language to learn, of the short list you have given us, would be Chinese, for three reasons. First,a nd most importantly, it is the only one of three which is not related to English. The other two and English are part of the great Indo-European family. Chinese is not. Second, it is tonal. THe meaning of a word changes, according to whether you say it in a high or low tone, or a rising or falling inflection. Third, written Chinese is totally unlike writing in an alphabet. Note that even if you decide to learn Chinese, you still have to decide which version. The official language of communist China is Mandarin, but that is only one of many Chinese languages or dialects. (Scholars differ as to which word to use.) If you go to a Western Chinatown, you are probably more likely to hear Cantonese. If you go to Singapore, you may hear Hakka. And so on.

None of that means that you shouldn't learn Chinese. By learning something quite different from your own language, you will inevitably learn a lot about how languages work in the abstract - and that will make learning any other language that little bit easier. Just as importantly, it will give you (whichever Chinese language you opt for) one of the richest written cultures in the world. And of course, there are an awful lot of Chinese people.

Russian has a different alphabet from ours, but that is really the least of the problems in learning it. Again, learning the language would give you access to a very rich culture (novels, poetry, songs and opera, for example), although one much younger in its written records than the Chinese culture. One of the issues you should think about is what you would do with your Russian after your astronaut career (or, if the worst came to the worst, instead of it). That doesn't have to be a career answer. I hope you will take an interest in the language you learn far beyond what it does for your earning power. Maybe you would be happy to travel in Russia rather than China.

I would suggest that Spanish has the least to offer you - but against that, it would probably be the easiest to learn, because it is the most like English, and because its grammar is relatively simple.

One final issue to consider. You are going to be in the hands of your teacher to a large degree, whichever you go for. Are the teachers of these languages good or bad? Talk to other pupils who are already taking their classes, and see what sort of reputation they have. Who has large enthusiatic classes, and whose classes are only there so they can tick a box?

In my opinion you should learn Spanish or Russian. My mother had fun learning Russian but she had ambitions of working for the government and that was during the Cold War so it was more relevant. To me Spanish is boring but it is understandable why you would want to learn it. Chinese is very useful and Han culture is beautiful but it is extremely difficult. There are over 2,000 characters that you will have to memorize to even read basic script. On top of that it is a tonal language.

Spanish: Useful in America

Russia: Useful if you want to be an astronaut.

Chinese: Extremely difficult. Extremely useful in all fields.

If you're an American, I would say Spanish would be the first language you should add to your fluency. Practice it and become fluent in it before moving to another language. Reading is different than speaking it, so I would suggest conversation classes or conversations with a native speaker to increase your confidence, vocabulary and knowledge.

After that, I would say Chinese, if you feel it's something you can stick with and continue to learn. I went to college in the late 80's when the USSR was changing and I took Russian for a year and a half. I wish I would have taken more of it, but honestly, it has been of no benefit to me 20 years later other than testing my memory when I see written text or hear a foreign movie.

The Spanish I took in high school and college and the Italian I took in college have helped me more, since I love to travel! But, since I never kept up with my Spanish and Italian over the past 20 years, and I never became FLUENT in my Spanish, I would regularly mix up my Spanish and Italian, since they are both foreign to me. If you keep up with your Spanish and become fluent "like" a native speaker, you'll be so much better off than just having a smattering of many languages (like I have).

Good luck!

I would say spanish, it is more useful and it will help you understand other latin languages (you'll understand a little italian, a little portuguese, etc.) Chinese and russian are really difficult languages and they will require a lot of time, and, unless you go live there or have business partners or friends who speak it, it wont be useful at all. So I would go with spanish first, and when you're fluent then you can learn chinese or whatever you choose

If you pick to learn Chinese then you should know that Chinese language is without a doubt one of the hardest languages for westerners to find out, and up till now finding out to communicate Chinese to a level of proficiency outdoors of the classroom environment has been almost impossible but not if you choose a course

• granny

I like the way you think. You are been practical and thinking ahead.

You do NOT have to know Russian in order to be an austronaut.

You are ready for big things in your life. I would continue with Spanish, and once you are done, take Chinese or Japanese.

I truly wish you the best in your life!