my ex claimed my children on taxes this year and last year as well we have joint legal joint physical custody?

but my children have stayed with me for most of the time I dont know what my custody papers state but I remember the judge saying we could choose to eather both claim one child,one of us claim and split it or one claim one year and the other parent the next since he claimed last year this should be my year??? right?

Favorite Answer

You don't know what your custody papers state?!?! Get a copy now.

You could contact the IRS (www.IRS.gov) to find out how to handle this situation.

• Ti

The judge basically said that you and your ex duke it out among yourselves.

Who claims what child in what year is entirely based on how you two agree.

Acting in the best interest of your children and learning how to act as adults is one big step toward becoming better parents. Remember, children need to be raised by adults, not over-aged teenagers.

Take care

the irs will not get involved with this. they grant the deduction to the first person who files. if you have no written agreement then there is nothing stopping him from claiming them. if you have a written agreement you will have to sue in court to get the money.