How important is it for a clinical psychologist to be imaginative? How about an experimental psychologist?

• titou
    Favorite Answer

In clinic setting I subscribe to Dianetics/Scientology dictum for auditors (therapists): "Run the case, not the pre-clear [patient]". Subjective judgment is in my belief the #1 fault of psychotherapy as generally practiced today, and is inevitably cluttered and obscured by the therapist's own beliefs, history, and prejudices. The truth is, as Hubbard texts say -- the ONLY person who knows what is wrong with someone who is "mentally ill" -- is the person himself. And he is usually unaware of the true reasons for his difficulties on a conscious level, anyway. Hence the uselessness of most traditional analysis.

On the other hand, it is essential for the experimental psychologist to be creative. Whether it means designing experiments or analyzing data from them, or in structuring the therapy environment -- an OPEN MIND is the essential element -- and an open mind is a creative mind. Otherwise, research and observation is limited to what one WANTS to see -- once again a prevalent condition among psychotherapists today.

Oh God... I hope not very. :(