If you have adhd can you force yourself to focus and be able to?

I was thinkin about getting checked out by a dr for adhd which I think is to blame for my life being a total wreck but while talking to family and friends about it the only person who is supportive of me going to seek treatment is my husband. My sister and mother both think that there is no point in getting checked out and if i do have adhd then i just need to learn to focus better and that medication will make me 10 times worse then I already am. Can I just force myself to focus? I mean I do this with small projections but my focus is still pretty short and once it gets too "big"of a project I abandon ship and leave whatever project I started where it was even if it was something I really need to deal with or if I can't find a solution. It is so bad that I have a warrant because I couldn't figure out how to pay my fines for court so I just kind of didn't think about it anymore. Who does things like that!?!?!? So anyway is treatment absolutely needed for this disorder or are my sister and mom wrong

Yes you can RE teach your self to think and concentrate on what you are doing. I am 57 and was born with adhd. My sons and daughter were also ADHD. I believe that they inherited it from me.

To begin to understand ADHD you must first learn to focus yourself.

I learned this by writing everything down. EVERYTHING.

Plans Schedules NEEDS You name it I wrote it down. Then when I needed to focus on a particular subject I looked at what I wrote.

This takes planning and preparation. Your thoughts are also Private. So keep your writing in a notebook and secure it.

Myson used his ADHD to an advantage. He graduated at the top of his class at High School. He accelled in sports and when he joined the Navy he was a Top Grad at his schools and made early advancements several times.

Go ahead and have a Doctor verify your ADHD. Then try this as a therepy.

Source(s): Dad and ADHD

i was diagnosed with ADD in the 5th grade. i was prescribed several meds, which i took for several years, but don' take any longer. that being said, drugs are not your only option (should you have ADD, or ADHD). getting diagnosed is always a good thing, knowledge is power and all that. if you do have such a condition, forcing yourself to focus is easier said than done. ADD is an impulse control issue in the brain, you can learn to deal with it and learn ways to work around it, but it's always going to be a challenge for you. talk to your doctor, find out your options, only then can you make an informed decision.

Source(s): 33 years of dealing with ADD as well as the misconceptions about it.

well it depends on how you react on treatment.

since this is different for almost every case.

trying to focus harder won't help if you have ADHD.

but visiting a doctor won't hurt ad then you can be sure.

Yes...if the task is interesting or necessary.