I need help with a short story!?

I have a few questions.

1) How long should a short story be AT LEAST?

2) How short should a short story be AT MOST?

3) Should it have chapters/parts/an epilogue/a prologue?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Helpful website links would be great, too, but I want your answers also!

The story, as of now, is called 'Destined'. It's based in a sort of alternate world, if you want to call it that.

In this world, girls and boys are raised separately and are only brought together to produce the next generation. When the babies are born, the women go back home and raise the girls, and the men raise the boys. It's ruled by Society. The motto of Society is basically that love isn't real.

The main character is a 15 year old who has just been Appointed to a male and goes to his home, Suburb, where she will live until she has children after she turns 18. She sees a teen in the woods and feels a strange connection to him. He's lived in Wild all his life and doesn't believe anything Society says, but now he has to convince her of that.

Girl: Alessia

Boy: Archer

Favorite Answer

i think it's three A4 pages at least and five at most

it just has to have a beginning middle and end and there must be one climax

two main characters and maybe one small character

don't waste paragraphs talking about nothing if you know what i mean..it must be detailed but not too much detail

do you have a title of the short story that we could help you with? what's it about?

"Destined" sounds really cool! It reminds me of a story called the gathering which is brill!!

With a short story like that you have to jump straight into the here and now because otherwise it will turn into a novel. Does it strictly have to be a short story? Because I honestly think you could make a class novel!

I think it would be nice to start with Alessia in the male's house(what will this characters name be?)..maybe she notices the boy through her window?

i hope i helped some way i always write short stories for school but i'm not a genius or anything!

I can't wait to see how your story turns out:)

1) It doesn't really matter. They can be a page long, two pages long, whatever you feel like.

2) Just found on Wikipedia; "In contemporary usage, the term short story most often refers to a work of fiction no longer than 20,000 words and no shorter than 1,000. Stories of less than 1,000 words are sometimes referred to as "short short stories" or "flash fiction.""

3) That's entirely up to you. It can do, if you want it to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_story

There's lots of information on there that might help you :)

A short story is under 7,500 words and somewhere over 2500 words. A novelette is 7,500-17500, a novella 17,500 to 40,000 anything over 40,000 is a novel.

A short story is too short to need an prologue or an epilogue. You can have one but it shouldn't be necessary. You want to include all the information succinctly in your 7,500 words.

5 lines

d