am I stupid? :(???????????

Im 13 and I cant seem to understand 6th grade math. Its hard for me :(. No matter who tries to help me I never understand. I feel like an idiot. I cant find a surface area of a triangular prism or anything! Am I stupid?????

• Maria
    Favorite Answer

If that was the criteria for stupid, it would apply to 90% of all Americans. I can't even help my daughter with her homework. I graduated high school knowing barely knowing long division.

Maths for me , calms me down and enjoy it as I have an amazing teacher who had changed my life . Iam sure there are people out there who are much worse than you at maths , iam sure your better than you think , maths takes a lot of time to learn and my teacher says : the more practice , the more you will learn , a very good textbook is: ISBN :(9781846900839) maybe get it , I love this book . To work surface area = triangle = 1/2 x h x b then b x h For all sides etc...Then add all of them together , I really want to help you . Don't forget it's cm cubed

you are not at all a stupid who cant study , but a stupid who thinks that he is a stupid fellow. you cant understand the portions perhaps because you forgot your basics. before thinking about surface area of a triangular prism , first think about meaning of surface area, about surface area of simple shapes etc. refer your old books before looking at present. just think that a stupid cant handle computer in this way and ask a question which some 'wise men' still don't know.thanks

No you're not stupid! I'm sure you're really clever in loads of other things. Are you good at art? or english? or computer technology? Or maybe you can play an instrument. Not understanding one subject doesn't make you stupid. Believe me, i know. I am 14 and cannot understand physics to save my life! But i do know that i am actually a good writer. Everyone has something they're not good at. To be completely honest i don't care how i do in science becasue i know i will never pass. If you want to use maths in the future, then try to focus on the parts you don't understand. If you don't need it in the future then to be honest don't stress about it. My mum always tells me to focus on what i want to achieve and if i don't want to achieve it it's not important. I'l always remeber that becasue it really helps. Focus on the subjects you want to achieve in and don't let maths get you down. Also, it might be the teacher you have. I never understood maths until last year when i got a really really good teacher. Now i understand it a lot more. anyway, i'm sure you're really clever x :)

• Derail

Nope, you're not stupid. I remember what it was like at your age. took me a day to understand what everyone else was working on, and by that time they all had moved on to the next formula or chapter in the book. I was always behind. Believe it or not, it gets easier. Once you have learned to a point, everything else you encounter in class is built on what you already know. So it does get easier.

You probably could just use a tutor. Calling yourself stupid only makes you believe it more. Work hard, study, and review the material. Eventually you will find a way to understand it by making sense of the work. Then you will do just fine.

You decide if you're smart or not. Just keep practicing. Stick with it and you'll eventually get it.

remember area for any object is the sum of the areas of each side. the area for a triangle is .5LW. add them all up.

No you're not, math is stupid.

I'm 21 now and I have no idea how I passed my maths in school cuz MATH IS STUPID AND POINTLESS and useless unless you're future career needs math but other than that you'll never use math.

• Well apparently your talent is English...besides missing your apostrophes, your grammar and overall structure are flawless here.

You aren't stupid. Just keep trying

you are for asking a question about it.