Do looks and skin color really matter?

I'm in college and wanted to maybe just try acting and explore opportunities. But I am very unattractive and extremely dark. Would this hurt me? On a scale of 1-10 of how dark I am, I'd say I'm an 8, plus not being very attractive doesn't help me out either. I also hate seeing myself on film because of how dark I am. If I was a lot lighter, things would be a lot different, and I'd be a lot more comfortable. Should I just give up even attempting something in acting because of this?

Favorite Answer

If you have a talent for acting, go for it. As you watch movies, as an aspiring actor/actress should, you will note that not every actor/actress is attractive or good-looking. This is because movies about real life will reflect real people, and real people aren't always blessed with extreme beauty.

Take another look at the people in movies.

Is Danny Devito a good-looking/attractive/tall person -- or is he simply a great actor -- or is he simply a hard working guy who would not give up on his dream to act?

Looks do matter in acting! But If there is a part for a darker skined people then you could go for it and even if the part is for a white person still go for it. If your good you'll get parts and even if your not cast as a part chorus is always fun. Do you want be in a movie or TV show or Musicals? This is importaint because if you want to be in Musicals if your voice is good for the part you have a chance. Dont get you looks get in the way of what you want to do! Your beuitiful, everybody is! dont let that get you down! The great part about Theater is that everyone is exepted and there are parts for everyone.

Honestly it's just up to the person's preference. Everyone has different preferences, and some people like darker people.

However on the unattractive part, you will find someone who finds you to be the complete opposite.

There's really no such thing as ugly so I'm sure you're fine. :]

The truth is looks have a lot to do with everything in the entertainment business.

Honey i'll say this...to the people who DO matter, it WON'T matter xxxxxxxx