What is the best way to sharpen a kitchen knife?

I have use several of the market gadget for this, but they do not work well

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Many gadgets often harm the blade more then it does help them. Not many people outside of the knife industry understands what goes in a nice edge-including companies that makes these so called sharpening gadgets. You do not want to put excessive pressure on the blade, which means contact sharpeners and rod sharpeners simply do not work. The exception with the rods is serrations.

With that being said-you can't go wrong with Arkansas stones. Just practice on a few junk blades first.

• ?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

For NON serrated knives you can use the inexpensive carbide knife sharpeners available in most department stores. They sit flat on the table or counter and you place the knife with the cutting edge inside the "V" of the sharpener press down and draw the knife toward yourself. Be careful at the end you lighten up so you don't come out of the sharpener and down on top of the table or counter top and damage it. Another option is to purchase an electric knife sharpener for around $40, or if you have an old fashioned sharpening stone you could use that. There are knife hones made of industrial diamond, a round rod looking thing with a hand guard at the bottom called a "steel" for dressing the edge on your knives.I don't have a way to tell you about serrated knives, but if you have a local sharpening service store ( listed in your yellow pages) they can sharpen anything from knives to chain saw chains and circular saw blades. Usually you get the best price if you bring more than one knife or blade at a time per piece.

• 9 years ago

This a a very good question because nobody has the easy answer and because knives and sharpening systems are all so, oh so, different. I guess the right answer, to try and include as many of the variables as possible, is to state that grandpa"s whetstone is still the best way to sharpen a modern non-serrated kitchen knife. Take the blade and go back and forth, just like he did. That's my judgment, and I'm sticking to it.

• 4 years ago

perhaps you're utilising the incorrect attitude on the polishing stone, or the incorrect stone altogether. attempt a 22 degree attitude, in actuality locate 40 5 ranges, they split which you're close sufficient. attempt long pulls on the knife, drawing it backwards rather of forwards, i hit upon that works extra suitable. shop the stone moist or oiled, and do approximately 5 pulls in line with side then shop switching. ensure you have an extremely effective stone, not a coarse one. in case you rub your finger in the time of it numerous situations, it is going to possibly not take skin off (the stone it is!). next, shop up with your polishing steel. the main suitable became to sharpen a knife is to maintain it sharp! AFter tremendously much each use, run it around the steel numerous situations, comparable attitude because of the fact the stone, far flung from the pointy end, start up from cope with and end at tip. make constructive your steel isn't one that feels tough or sandy to touch, it may experience like grooved steel, slightly abrasive in any respect.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Knife sharpeners are available in many commercial kitchen equipment stores. Get one and keep your knife sharp. Emery board also works great for immediate result.

• Kriss
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

a sharpening rod has always worked best for me.

run the knife down the rod 3 or 4 times on both sides & you're done.

do not put your knives in the dishwasher as the heat dulls the blades faster & dries out & ruins the handles. after you use your knives: hand wash them in warm soapy water, rinse, hand dry, & put them away immediately.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Just spray some sand on edge of a cement wall or floor and try to sharpen the both side of the knife by pressing the knife and start to scratch on the sand.

• 9 years ago

Get like a big block/rock, it may help

Source(s): my sister uses it
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.