Do people bake from scratch anymore?

Or do we use cake mix more?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I make cornbread, biscuits, pancakes, cakes, pies, bread, and even my own gravies and sauces all from scratch. sometimes I use a box mix for cakes and pancakes, but I always add things to make it taste better............my mom cooked everything from scratch as I grew up, and so I learned that way first, and prefer it much better.

• 9 years ago

Good question!

I used to make cakes from scratch, but I don't anymore, I buy the mixes.

I work with a woman who works for a local chain grocery store baking their cakes, and she also makes and sells cakes on her own at her home, and she told me she only uses the cake mixes. She said the mixes are cheap, easy, and they make a great cake batter. Her cakes are beautiful and delicious!

Ever since she told me that, I started buying cake mixes, and she is right, they are delicious, fast, and easy. I think the mixes are better than anything I have ever made from scratch. I will buy a cake mix, add raisins and nuts to the batter, and then just sprinkle it with a little cinnamon and powdered sugar on top when it is done (instead of icing) and it is delicious!

• Vasey
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

I wouldn't use cake mix as I'm not too fussy on The flavour. I rarely make cakes so would always make time to make one. Normal everyday meals there are some things that I'm not Very good at like white sauce and gravy so to save time and stress now I buy them in but The majority of food I make from scratch. Usually my little girl starts needing a cuddle in The middle of making a meal!!

I have been round to lots of people's houses and then've made food from mixes but I would never turn it down because they've bothered to make it. Also I think if people use cake mixes it's better than buying them in especially when they make them with their children. It's still interacting and having fun!

I apologise about The essay I'm putting off The housework! :-(

• 9 years ago

I bake from scratch, always .... from brownies to cakes to cookies, to frosting, candy and ice cream. I personally don't like the texture of the cake that comes from using a box mix. Most people are quite surprised to find my cakes have a tender but larger crumb, not the densely packed (but still moist) crumb of a box cake cake

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I bake cakes from scratch, they taste much better than boxed mixes, or store bought as well..

• Zala
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

don't like the cake mix because not the healthiest, about once a month. otherwise everything is from scratch.

• 9 years ago

Cake mix more

• Joanne
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

I do both. If I have a lot of time and the ingredients are handy, from scratch, if not a mix.

Source(s): experience
  • 9 years ago

Always from scratch. Box mix is a piece of crap. I recommend cooking things from scratch unless you want to puke.

• 9 years ago

I always do except for bread for everyday use. I bake bread for special meals or special occasions, but everything else ffrom scratch and I always use fresh veggies - never frozen or canned. - nothing like true home made

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.