Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceOther - Social Science · 9 years ago

The way I look is destroying my life?

I have difficulty in looking people straight in the eye; I don't want to have them looking at my face.

I feel awkward with everybody; no matter where I am or who I am with, I feel disgusting.

I used to have some close friends but now I prefer being alone so that I won't have them looking at my face while we are talking. I like dark places and I hate places with a lot of light, because this is where my face is showing the most.

I really don't know why this is happening. I try EXTREMELY hard to look nice, but people never comment on my appearance nor do they compliment me. Sometimes they make rude comments but that's it. This is a description of what I look like in case you care:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;%E2%80%A6

I'm not an attention-seeker. I'm just problematic, socially awkward and extremely insecure.

I want to disappear and never have anyone look at my face again. I feel so embarassed every time someone looks at me.

I might be grotesque but I have the right to a beautiful life. What should I do?

Favorite Answer

You sound exactly like me a few years ago. I never looked anyone straight in the face and was always extremely conscious of my appearance. I still feel much more comfortable under the glow of dim, iridescent lighting. I avoided looking in mirrors in public because when I did, I would cry. I once spent an hour crying in a bathroom stall at school. It impeded my social life (and still does because I have a lot of that leftover insecurity).The thing I wish I realized then is that I was suffering with body dysmorphic disorder. It isn't normal to feel that way about yourself. Even the most unattractive people in the world feel like people and probably like aspects of themselves. But that feeling of disgust you have about yourself (I'm all too familiar with it) is NOT normal insecurity. People who don't understand will tell you "oh, everyone is insecure, you just have to find what you love about yourself." And they mean well, but when you feel that way, there is nothing you love about yourself. Or like. Or even feel neutral about. You need to talk to someone about this because they can help you. Just remember: it isn't you, it's the way you see yourself. Nobody else sees you that way. You are not grotesque, I promise.

everybody has flaws. remember that. you have to become happy with your face. and confidence is the key to that. instead of picking out what you think isnt perfect, compliment yourself. you have to learn to be happy with what you have. then people will start approaching you differently.