My 93 honda civic won't start I was told I have a bad computer. Do you think thats right?

My mechanic has checked the fuel pump and distributor and replace the relay ran a diagnostic test. Car still isn't getting any fuel or spark.

Favorite Answer

No cam angle sensor on OBD-1, so a slipped belt wouldn't cause any confusion for the ECU.

It could very well be a slipped timing belt though. The crank and dizzy timing should be checked.

Likely its a bad fuel pump or ignition Relay. The fuel line could also be plugged (I've actually had that happen).

Check the clips on all 4 Injectors and make sure none of the Injectors are plugged.

Could be a bad coil, or ground.

Its pretty easy to hook the coil up to a Voltmeter and check its voltage, also check if its getting spark to the plugs.

There's a guy on here by the name of HondaGuy; ask him, I'm sure he will point you in the right direction.

Bad engine computers is something that intrigues me. The reason for this is that I drive cars older then this and have not had to replace mine yet. So my feeling is that the diagnosis is wrong. A broken cam belt is more likely or even that the belt has slipped and thrown off the inputs to the computer.

There are a lot of things I would check before replacing the computer, but I do my own car work for the most part. I have had cars turn over but not start because the ignition switch was bad, one time the problem was some one pouring a gallon of water or so into my gas tank.

Now it could be the computer, but it may also be a mechanic issue. Just no way to tell with out doing some diagnostics. With this being a 93, doing so will be more difficult then on a 96 or later model. But with a service manual a better diagnosis could be made.

If the CEL comes on when you turn the key on most times the computer is fine. There is a common problem with the main relay located under the steering column. I'd replace that before buying a computer. Most mechanics that work on Hondas know about the relay module problem.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Almost certainly not, unless it got wet or was hit by a meteor. In my experience nine out of ten (no exaggeration) ECUs that are condemned by mechanics have no problem. If the Check Engine light comes on for a few seconds when you turn on the ignition the problem is elsewhere.

Source(s): http://tegger.com/hondafaq/faq_ii.html#changeecu 35 years maintaining my own cars

your mechanic should know how to hook up a the code reader or connect a paper clip into the service connector and if the check engine light stays on you may have a bad computer

not necessary ! there are other things that can keep it from starting too. a bad coil, module, distributor, distributor cap and rotor can keep it from starting too. also if it,s not getting fuel can keep it from starting too.

• ?

possible, but more likely something much simpler, .... like coil, ignition module , fuel pump relay,

bigger possibilities ... timing belt, fuel pump...........so, dont guess at what you need