Cassy
Cassy asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 9 years ago

Should I just give in or am I in the right?

My children are 9 and 7 and don’t like their grandparents at all. However I have a court order to send them once a month for 30 hours, regardless of how they feel. I have already scheduled the time for June of this year with them, because I only have one free weekend in June, 3 weeks after I told them about this they informed me that they would be out of town that weekend and asked to have the children on my son’s 8th birthday. I told them no because I have something planed and asked them if they had a problem with the date before then why didn’t they say something 3 weeks ago. I told them if they don’t want the kids the weekend that I set up then they don’t get the kids for that month. They say that they are taking me back to court because I am refusing their rights.

Oh and just to be clear they only get rights because my children’s so called father is in prison for child molestation on his 9 year old step daughter. He will be locked up for 41 years (I know it is not long enough). The grandparents do not help me support the children at all. My husband and I are fully responsible for both of the children.

Am I in the right? Or should I just give in and cancel my plans for the children even thought I gave them more than enough notice?

Just to add some Information to the last comment. When we went to court the first time the judge told me that sometimes i need to force my children to do things that they don't want to do. So I have already tied to get my children's opinion herd. It is just nobody is listening by my husband and I.

ok and get this even after my husband adopts the two children the grandparents still have rights to see the kids. it is state law! How much crap is that!

Favorite Answer

You are right. It makes no sense for there to even be court ordered visitation for grand parents. This is the first time I've ever heard of it. If you go back to court you should try to get the court to take the children's opinions into account. If you can get them to listen and the children really don't like them, you should be able to revoke the visitation rights.

You will probably have to have an independent child advocate to make your point so the court can't say you are pressuring your kids into their opinions,

Hope I helped. :)

You are in NO way wrong. What you need to do is call the court house, explain your situation and go from there. I'm sorry that things are that messed up for you, and I commend you and your husband for sticking together to raise these kids right!

Source(s): Similar situation

I always think in cases like this the children should get to chose. But i think your right.

No do not give up, they should of told u when u asked them in the first place