Mice and Men- Describe the characters of George and Lennie. What seems to keep them together?

- Provide examples and details

I really need help I didn't understand the book to much.

Favorite Answer

Personally, I think that that it's the fact that they are in the very rare situation of being workers and having companionship that keeps them together.

I might be wrong, but a lot of the novel is referring to the aspect of loneliness, and as they have each other that is what might keep them together.

Something to back up the point of loneliness is the fact that they are working in Soledad, and "Soledad" means Loneliness in Spanish.

Source(s): I have read and taken exams on the novel.
  • Sonia

Lennie acts like a child, is very big, not very smart

George is small, smart, cunning, always thinks of the ideas

(for characteristics there is a big paragraph at the begginning of the book that describes both of them really well)

They are both friends and I don't think george would want to be on his own and he wouldn't want Lennie to be on his own either. It's kind of like a brotherly love. George always looks out for him. He feels he needs to look after him but is annoyed by him a lot

Source(s): I studied of mice and men at the begginning of the year and I got an A in the exam.

What keeps them together is that without each other they would be lonely and alone like everyone itinerant worker. George and lennie depend on each other to company as neither of them have any family and as they can't settle down anywhere they can't meet any friends so each other is all they've got. (just done an english literature paper on it)

Source(s): English teacher

"Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck remains properly on the reading lists of high school students because of the regional imagery through succinct dialogue. Unlike "Grapes of Wrath," Steinbeck brings us swiftly into each moment, never letting us linger too long before walking us to the next place.