Tommy asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

Native English speakers, i need a little help with english?

I feel strongly confused as to whether the following sentence is grammatically correct or not.

"She hated everything around her and even the parts of her own body happened they to meet her eyes"

lol

Thanks:)

and if it's not then please correct it using the same turn of speech, it would be greate appreciated, thank you.

i know it there's a construction like this: you would have been burned , my friend, had you lived two centures ago. i don;t know what it;s called in english but i mean i'd like to use a construction similar to this one.

Favorite Answer

I think I understand what you are trying to do.

There is in English a way of expressing conditions by using an inversion in the conditional clause, but (just as for any inversion) you need an auxiliary verb to do it.

"Had I known then what I know now..." = "If I had known then what I know now..."

"Were he to ever set foot in England...." = "If he ever set foot in England..."

In your example, you simply inverted the verb "happened". You can't do that, just as you can't say "When happened this?". If you are really bent on using this bookish conditional construction, you must provide an auxiliary verb, saying e.g. "...should they happen to meet her eyes".

• Kjeon

yo, grammar here is fine, I'd just put a comma after "..everything around her" and before "and." In fact, this kind of construction is extra fancy. I don't know what it's called, but this sort of speech is used in fancy prose and poetry often. It is a little unclear, and I wouldn't use it in spoken english, it would sound a little strange, almost like something out of a Lord or the Rings book, or maybe a Shakespeare play.

The other people who answered should look more closely. I assume that they saw the question calling out native english speakers and read the sentence assuming error, and when met with an uncommonly used grammatical method of expression, immediately went with their gut reaction.

If you want it to sound more natural, I would word it like, "She hated everything around her, even the parts of her own body if they happened to meet her eyes." But if you are planning to use something like this in a piece you are writing, especially if you want to sound extra poetic or fancy, the first way is fine, I would just put the comma I mentioned.

Try this:

"She hated everything around her, even those of her own body parts which happened to meet her eyes."

Hope this helps!

It is not correct and i could try to correct it if only I knew what is meant by the last five words.

Try - She hated everything she seen around her; even the appearance of her own body met with her disapproval!

She hated everything around her, even the parts of her own body as she happened to gaze upon them.

she hated everything around her. she even hated parts of her own body as they happened to meet her eyes.

...parts of her own body

if / when / whenever / as

they happened to meet her eyes.

OR ALTERNATIVELY:

She hated everything ABOUT her, and she even hated parts of her own body, should they chance to meet her eyes.

it starts out good, but "happened they to meet her eyes" is not grammatically correct, and i'm not even sure what you're trying to say.

It is not grammatically correct. And I'm sorry, but I don't even know what you're trying to say.

ok I will try.

"She hated everything around her even her own body in the mirror."