ccsfc asked in PetsRodents · 9 years ago

How can I bond with my rats?

We got 2 baby girl rats yesterday, one is 5 weeks and very shy and the other is 6 weeks. They get along great, but not with me. They crawl around me, but are very nervous. In the cage they stick around the sides with each other or go into their house. What is a good way to bond with them? Should I do it individually or at the same time? I've never owned a rat :(

Favorite Answer

you have bought them yesterday so it will surely take some time to be in bond with them. be careful not to shout on them or near them and do not make any loud and immediate noise that may scare them be polite and let them together so they not fell alone in your absence. don't scare them and giving proper love, food and space is everything needed for stronger bond.

In order to bond with them, and for them to have trust to you, take the cage (with them inside) to a quiet room. Open the cage and let them come out by themselves. Make sure not to yell or make any loud noises, it will startle them. Be the only one in the room because they can't bond to two people at the same time. Just pet them and maybe give some treats to them. Do this for a couple of days, and they will sure to be bonding with you!

• Sheena

it can take a while, but you've not had them long.

the first thing I do with new rats is to put them inside my dressing gown. it's dark, warm, feels like a system of little tunnels, and it makes them feel quite safe as they're somewhere secluded. but the whole time they're in there, they're getting used to seeing your smell as representing safety.

you can do this with both at once, and they'll probably explore the sleeves a bit. peek out of collars and sleeves, and then find a comfy spot to have a little sleep.

at their age, their bladder control won't be great, so you may get a little bit peed on, but it doesn't smell of much, and they're only tiny wees.

once they get used to you, they'll be more confident in their cage too, and will soon be coming to the door when they hear you coming.

another good thing to do is to sit next to the cage while you watch TV or read books. they'll come over to investigate at some point. after all, rats are more curious than they are nervous, so the nosiness will win out. when they're looking at you, have a little chat with them.

rats become tame really quickly. but remember, right now they really are just babies. they've got a lot to get used to in a short time.

Okay, dont worry too much. The rats need time to get used to the new environment and their new owner. So my suggestions are:

Put some yogurt on your finger and let them lick it off, gently pat them at the same time.

You need to play with the rats outside the cage for AT LEAST an hour everyday. They enjoy dark places, riding on your shoulder and climbing through your shirt.

Source(s): It will get better

Something simple that worked very well for me was putting some soft food like mushed up banana into a spoon and placing the spoon in the palm of your hand. They should eventually eat from it. Move it to your wrist. It will take a while, but they should eventually crawl onto your hand to eat.

it will take time to bond but by handleing them and talking to them will help a great deal

Source(s): had 2 rats and a mouse

First of all, you are so lucky! I really want a rat ;) i would start by feeding them from your hands then start stroking them and then handling them :o) x

Super Glue will do the job if you REALLY want to bond with them! :) j/k

Source(s): Sillieness

I'm sorry but I don't want to be an emperor. That's not my business. I don't want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone if possible; Jew, Gentile, black men, white. We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that. We want to live by each others' happiness, not by each other's misery. We don't want to hate and despise one another. In this world there is room for everyone. And the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone. The way of life can be free and beautiful, but we have lost the way.

Greed has poisoned men's souls; has barricaded the world with hate; has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge as made us cynical; our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost. The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in man; cries out for universal brotherhood; for the unity of us all.

Even now my voice is reaching millions throughout the world, millions of despairing men, women, and little children, victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison innocent people. To those who can hear me, I say "Do not despair." The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

Soldiers! Don't give yourselves to brutes, men who despise you and enslave you; who regiment your lives, tell you what to do, what to think and what to feel! Who drill you, diet you, treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder! Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men---machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have a love of humanity in your hearts! You don't hate! Only the unloved hate; the unloved and the unnatural.

Soldiers! Don't fight for slavery! Fight for liberty! In the seventeenth chapter of St. Luke, it's written "the kingdom of God is within man", not one man nor a group of men, but in all men! In you! You, the people, have the power, the power to create machines, the power to create happiness! You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure. Then in the name of democracy, let us use that power.

Let us all unite. Let us fight for a new world, a decent world that will give men a chance to work, that will give youth a future and old age a security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power. But they lie! They do not fulfill their promise. They never will! Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people! Now let us fight to fulfill that promise! Let us fight to free the world! To do away with national barriers! To do away with greed, with hate and intolerance! Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men's happiness.