I live in Florida and my "wife" lives in new york, I pay all the bills for the house, she does not.?

She wants to force a sale in a eventual divorce. Can she force the sale of the house.There is no equity in the house .She is just spiteful.What can I do? I like my house and want to stay in it.

Favorite Answer

The answer to your question depends upon a few items, such as which state the filing has or will occur and how that state defines and divides marital assets/property. Each state has it's own set of laws which can change a divorce. If no one has filed yet, I would suggest you speak to an attorney in both New York and in Florida to find out how each state would view this property and what your rights would be. If you both have residency in these respective states, then you can choose which state you want to file in while considering how favorable each states laws would be to you in your particular situation. However, if she files first then you loose the ability to decide that.

You should spend some time on DadsDivorce.com researching strategy and the issues you are facing. They are a free resource for men facing divorce and even have a forum where you can chat with other guys to learn from their experiences.

• mebo

Marital assets and liabilities are jointly owned. Everything is negotiable so no, she cannot "force" the sale of the house. You need to reach a fair and equitable distribution of the assets so if you want to keep the house you will probably have to give up something else.